Can you tell me how long I can expect to be in pain? How long I should expect to take to heal after my anal surgery? Also, how long can I take mineral oil to keep my stools soft--I suffer from IBS or possibly a mild crohns.

I had an anal fissure that partially healed over the course of about a year. The reason that it only partially healed was that it was infected. Last, December it abscessed to the point where I could push on a hard nodule just outside the hole and puss would ooze out of the unhealed area of the fissure. Gross, I know.

Since then, I have had a surgery to open and drain the abscess. The surgical cut is from the remaining portion of the fissure inside to the outside nodule.

It has been 8 weeks since my surgery. The bleeding and pussing have stopped. Now it just hurts when I go #2, similar to the way in which the anal fissure hurt last year. Some days there is intense burning, some days just a faint reminder of my wound's continuing presence.

Since I have been diagnosed with a very mild case of Crohn's, or IBS--dr.s are unsure which--I have been taking sulfazine and am scheduled to be fully evaluated later this year. Aside from the fissure turned abscess, my only sympom of these conditions is constipation, which is exacerbated by my very stressful job. I have been taking Milk Of Magnesia or mineral oil (never together) to alleviate this symptom. How long can I continue to do this?

any comments, stories advice would be appreciated.

Just so you know, it takes over 6 os to completely heal. I am just now beginningto fell better.

Hey girl, I know what you're talking about because my aunt went through the same deal. She also had an anal abscess surgery and her healing process wasn't fast at all. I think you're overly concerned and you should give it some time. 8 weeks is pretty much fast for all side effects of that kind of sensible procedure to go away. You should rest as much as you can, avoid driving and other activities that might cause your healing procedure to stall. Also, keep taking mineral oil for some time. But, nevertheless, if it doesn't heal in the next 4-5 months, or if you feel any severe pain, go and see a specialist. 

thought you might like to know that I am still not 100%. these things take forever to heal from and the setbacks are MANY!