My husband had hemorrhoidectomy recently and he is suffering now from severe post op pain. However, doctor hasn’t prescribed him any of the pain killers. I would like to know what pain killers he can use after hemorrhoidectomy.

I think that hemorrhoidectomy pain can be alleviated with the use of topical anesthetic creams or suppositories and oral pain medications. Tell him that lying on one’s side or sitting on soft cushions is helpful, if he doesn’t know already. I believe that there are special cushions just for hemorrhoid sufferers. Although it can seem like an eternity to a recovering hemorrhoid surgery patient, hemorrhoidectomy pain does not usually last very long at all. Maybe that is why his doctor hasn’t prescribed him anything. Anyway, maybe you should ask pharmacist what is best for him.

The advice given above by "flaten" should prbly not be done. The only topical medicine I was allowed to put on after the hemorrhoidectomy was lidocaine, and that was only after I went home from the hospital and needed something to lessen the painful attempts at a bowel movement!
I had a hemorrhoidectomy 4 wks ago and could not take 2 different painkillers the doc prescribed(darvecet & vicodan)as they made me sick. I ended up(after I left the hospital)just taking ibuprofen every 4 hrs. I was relieved to know that I could take more than just the "1 or 2" that it says on the bottle! Taking 3 every 4 hrs seemed to work well for me, but I understand that you can take as many as 4.
Some of the pain associated w/ a hemorrhoidectomy just has to be endured, sad to say. No pain medicine completely does away w/ it. I found that the greatest relief came from warm sitz baths, including the little one that sits on the toilet, and a heating pad. Those were my "salvation"!

I had pph surgery last wed.(10/18/06) 6 days ago and the surgery went ok I was asleep. That night the pain medicine made me throw up and it hurt. The next day was extremely painful and the feeling to pee and poop is unbearable. When I go to the bathroom it is painful. I stopped taking the stool softner and the fiber laxative after 3 days and a fiber diet is o.k. I am still in great pain and I dread going to the doctor tomorrow for a check up. I can`t really sleep, I move about all night and I stay in bed all day. I Love God and pray for comfort and relief. Keep me in your prayers. Thank You!!!!

Hemorrhoidectomy surgery is the worst! I had traditional hemorrhoid surgery 1 month ago and I am still trying to recover. I have tons of people praying for me right now that I recover soon as I have three little ones to take care of including a 6 week old baby. I was told the recovery time for this surgery was 2 weeks (BIG FAT LIE). I now know that it is more like 2 months and sometimes more. Pmayer I will keep you in my prayers and please keep me in your prayers too for a quick and problemfree recovery. Thanks!

I`m praying for you! God is working in our lives. His time not ours. I hope you feel better soon. I went to the doctor today. Ruff ride about 25 miles each way. All was well. I feel better tonight. But the mornings are not nice. He did tell me I could use a heating pad instead of the sitz bath. Recovery for me will probally be around 2 1/2 weeks. It can only get better.

I had my hemroidectomy for internal/external hemmroids 6 weeks ago after giving birth the day before and have had the worst time of it. I was given pain meds for 2 weeks but didn't help much. Sitz baths work only when I am doing it. I have the rectal spasms so bad that I cry. I am trying to take care of a three year old and a 6 week old and it is hard. Today, I have been having blood in my stool. Is this normal this late in the recovery process?? Please help!

My M.D. gave me valium along with the pain meds because he said it would help relax the anus and I would need less pain pills. I am alergic to Vicodin/and Codeine products and so had to have Fiorecet which he said is not as strong.

Call in amy favors you can and get yourself some child care help. Taking care of a newborn AND a 3 yr. old is more than most people in perfect health can acomplish. Most people love to have a new ababy aroud so farm her out and do not feel guilty.

I think your Doc needs his head examinied. Unless this was a way to get the insurance to cover both of these procedures????? Do you belong to a church or any group ypu can ask for help? Did you have a CZ or Naturall birth?

What about in-laws?

Good Luck Sweetie

I had my hemorrhoidectomy last Wedensday (today is eight days since surgery) and it is easily the most painful operation I have ever had. That includes a tracheotomy and two chest tubes after a skull fracture!!! I would let the doctors cut my neck two more times before I would ever have this procedure again. With all of my past surgeries I have developed a very high tolerance for pain and usually do not have to take anything stronger than asprin to control any discomfort. That being said, my doctor gave me percocet (5mg) and vicodin (5mg) to be taken one hour apart (every 4 to 5 hours) to help control the pain. It doesn't work at all. I had the procedure done at 4:00pm and was released from the hospital at 5:30pm the same day. I arrived home about 20 minutes later and felt great. I figured I could go back to work the next day. At 7:17 I went to lay down on the couch and felt a pop inside of my rectum. All of a sudden I began bleeding badly from my anus and felt all of the blood rushing from my head. Soaked with sweat I asked my wife to please drive me back to the emergency room. Once there the ER doctor called my doctor who had done the surgery and he returned to the hospital as well. They gave me a shot of morphine and Vicoprofin in the ER and let me go home at midnight as there was nothing else they could do. My doctor had told me before the operation that I would feel "A LITTLE DISCOMFORT" but later in the ER he admitted that he may have mis-led me as fair as the pain was concerned. My doctor told me before I had the operation that although I didn't have to have the operation, I would feel much, much better after the surgery. This was easily THE WORST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE IN MY LIFE! If you have a choice, please take my advice and DO NOT have this operation AT ANY COST. As bad as you think the pain may be, you ain't seen nothing yet. This is the worst pain I've ever felt and I've felt a load of pain.

I had the surgery done last year. I agree the pain is bad but it will get better. My surgeon said to eat plenty of fiber and take fiber laxatives over the counter. This did not work for me!! I went to my physician and told him I had just had the worst pain I'd ever felt and that the over the counter stuff just wasn't working. I also told him the surgeon said that if I didn't have soft stool that I could possibly rip out all the work he had done. Finally I got some relief..... he prescribed my a laxative called glycolax. It will soften your stool and you will probably have a bowel movement daily. Or atleast I do. If I had known this existed I would have asked for it pre-surgery!!!! Doctors and Surgeons know this is there why they don't prescribe it before surgery if beyond me. Good Luck and try to stay pain free!

i just had my surgery yesterday at four pm...took a valium and one 500 mg vicodin...feeling pretty normal still they insert lidocain shot which sting a little to block the anus... the procedure was painless...i went to the colorectal center (dr million) in san francisco she is great...they band the hemroids which is 100 percent pain free..believe it or not...i decided i didn't want the ugly skin tags lefts so i opted to have them removed all at once which most people do in three treatments...i am all for getting things done one time plus i have a high tolerance to pain. feeling fine i left but after the lidocain block wore off i was in major pain...i thought about riding bart - could you imagine if i took bart home crying and moaning holding my bottom? people would have cleared the way from me...the major pain lasted only five hours...and decreased. i did take a bunch of vicodin and valium but it didn't completely take away the pain....i was not in pain after five hours just major discomfort a dull feeling...plus there was swelling so your booty feels swollen and hard on the exterior...the best help for me was not the sitz bath which put pressure on that area but a bath where i could lay back. i used an ionic blowdryer after every urination and bath to keep the area clean and dry. i got a prescription for lidocain 5 % not sure if this helps or not but i mix it with neosporen on the top. last night i could sleep at all due to too much meds and discomfort but i was not in excructiating pain....today is 100 times better i even drove my daughter to school...so i figure only a few days to recover...maybe by the weekend..

flaten wrote:

[/quot
I am having surgery in a few weeks for internal hems, they dont cause me any pain but they pop out most days and bleed a lot,(very large amounts)
After reading these posts, I am terriffied, not of the op, but the pain. Isnt there some sort of spray to numb the area? I remember when I was breastfeeding my children (30 yrs ago) my midwife gave me a spray to numb my nipples coz they were so painful............and it worked!
There must be something out there??????????????? :(

i just had it done 3 days ago. today was my first bowel movement. i wanted to jump out the window. My doc said i will have to return to get the last part taken out.... no way Jose. Id rather bleed everyday for the rest of my life

People all react differently to surgery. Some have weeks of unbearable pain other are fine after some days. I had traditional surgery last wednesday and several large hemroids removed. Compared to other surgery I had, it is not as bad as I thought it would be after reading the comments on this site. It is painful at times (like a thousand needles and fire burning) but it is not like it is painfull all the time. You may have some bad and very bad moments but most of the time it is o.k.

Tips:
Ask for (lumbar) spinal anesthesia. Reason: Your anus will feel numb much longer than with general anesthesia. Once you wake up from GA you're in pain and with spinal, you enjoy at least 5 to 6 hours pain free.

If you can afford it, ask to stay two nights in the hospital. They can take much better care of you than you can do yourself. Discuss pain with your surgeon before the operation and discuss a plan. Ask for painkiller the moment you feel your legs come back to life. My surgeon started with one injection of piritramid (morphine sort) a couple of hours afer surgery and continued with shots of Voltaren about every 6 to 8 hours. Your first 2 days are then pretty much pain free and you can heal in comfort. That is the way it should be. Pain should be a thing of the past.

Don't eat too much to avoid BM for some days. My first BM was today and it was not real bad. Strange but using the toilet standing up, the pain is much less. Don't wipe after but rinse your butt in the shower. That cleans better and more comforteable. Drink water, eat fiber, lots of fruits and vegetables and just hang on for some days.

Living a life without the discomfort and embarrassement of hemroids itching, burning and bleeding is worth it 1000%.

i am on my third week after the hemroidectomy. It is a very painful recovery and my doctor did not warn me about the pain at all. I take stool softener daily, and i think it is important to do so to avoid straining. I also take metamucel every morning to become regular, and I try to drink plenty of fluid; the key here is NOT to become constipated while recovering. The warm baths helped at the beginning but do not make the water too hot like I have done. This will give you extremely painful anal spasms after 15 minutes of soaking - and of course my doctor never mentioned what temperature the water should be set at. Pain killers for me do not work well enough the pain is still strong. Right now i have much less anal pain but passing stool still feels like a blow-torch, though is better, i do use a anal cream to help the internal healing, called anamantle Hc. I think it is helping but inserting the applicator in the anus is a bit painful though not impossible - just need to be careful. Doctor says full recovery is 2 months - hopefully he is correct. hope all this info helps other folks here that are in pain.