Hi all,
It has been a few days since my hernia surgery. I am an otherwise very healthy/athletic 28 y.o. and I don't even know how or when I got my hernia in the first place. I felt uncomfortable for about a week and then one morning, while taking a shower, a saw the tell-tale bulge on my left side above my penis and noticed that I got just a little bit nauseas when I touched it. I got it checked out and the doctor told me that I did, in fact, have an inguinal indirect hernia. Half a week later - wanted to get it over with - I had the surgery performed. I weened myself off the painkillers after two days because I was concerned about not having a bowel movement, even though I had been eating like a horse. I started noticing that the pain was really no longer coming from the area the operation was performed but was now coming from my left testicle area.

My left vas deferens and epididymis are swollen and it is extremely uncomfortable. The nurses called me a few days ago to check up on me and I was fine then, but now I am very uncomfortable.

Does anybody have any idea if this is somewhat "natural" after having the procedure performed (hernia surgery)? I am on the brink of calling my doctor's emergency number because I don't want to lose a testicle.

Most of the patient who has this surgery are able to go their homes after the surgery, the same day. But it requires some time until you are recovered from it. I think that approximately you will need three weeks until you are completely recovered. Vas Deferens Pain becomes normal after a surgery, but it is not OK if continues a days after. Sometimes, it can be damaged during the hernia surgery and that is why, as soon as you feel that pain, need to tell your doctor. Usually, I think that this pain starts to happen as soon as anesthesia is over, so call your doctor. Don't take any risks. 

I would love to hear the answer to his also. As I too had bilateral inguinal and an umbilical hernia repair done via mesh/laparoscopic and have identical issues. I have no pain or discomfort in the area of my incisions or my umbilicus but severe swelling and pain in my scrotum and testes. I called the emergency number for my doctor and was told to take ibuprofen for the pain and he would see me in a few days. I am scheduled to see him tomorrow and expect and answer other than take ibuprofen. I hope this is a common condition but I fear the worse. If this is common, surgeons may want to consider being a bit more caring and explaining this up front and prescribing something to help with the discomfort. It has been 6 days since my procedure and I wishing now that I waited.

I also had a hernia surgery and have similar symptoms. since my surgery ive had extreme discomfort in my right testicle which now hangs lower than my left. I went to the doctor again and had an ultasound performed on my testicles. they said everything seemed normal and told me to wear a testical support(jock strap). Its been 2 years now and I still have discomfort and i still wear a jockstrap anytime im active to help relieve the discomfort. Any ideas?

i wanted to add a quick question to Malewithquestions.
Did you have yours done on both sides or one?
I had a double hernia done at the end of 98, and now trying to have some kids,
and my vas defernes has been damage, i had two sperm tests and showed no sperm in my ejaculate, so
i opted for the bio of the testies and voila, i have sperm.
so have a close look at your tubes, you don't want to end up like me.
cause now trying to have kids, is a fortune, they said, we have to go thru IVF, ICSI and sperm retrieval, bio culture, medicine for the wife (she's is fine in that dept), and so on and on...and it came out to between 12,000-15,000 dollars.

Good evening Malewithquestions,

I have also had this exact problem after having a bilateral inguinal hernia repair. I am only on day number four but i have healed very well everywhere else but i am having the same pain. I am just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of the issue or not. Thank you for your help.

TM

I am in the same boat. My surgery was on March 5th, 2015. Today being May 13th i have some nagging discomfort in my right Testicle. My (assume) is the right Vas deferens is still swollen at the size of at least 1/4inch. I am going to consult a Urologist and verify the problem. I joked with the DR about a Vesectomy. km okay with not being able to help Produce more children.