I had hernia surgery 6 months ago on right side. It was not laproscopic. I went to surgeon several times since with no positive results. It is painful. MD does not seem to feel patch has come loose. What do I do? Is this dangerous? Will it go away?

I have the same problem. Where is the reply to the 6 months after herina surgery? I am suffering terribly from mine after 6 months. Should I go back to the surgeon who did it or to another one? He seemed angry when I told him I was feeling numb, tingling and still in pain.
Please reply.
God bless.
Jan

Welcome today's online healthcare, gentlemen...I too am having this problem....only just started following surgery this week. Good luck getting any kind of post from this kind of site - same with WebMD and the other online garbage.

Gentlemen,

I have the same problem and it's been 14 months since my "open" hernia repair procedure. I've seen my surgeon three times about this problem and also spoke with my primary care physician, who is an internist. The surgeon referred to it as "congestion". The Internist explained that it's possible that the return duct/tube, technically called "tunica vaginalis" (I later found out), which is part of the inguinal lymphatic system that returns lymphatic fluids from the testicle back to the lymph node may be "pinched" or "plugged", and hence the swelling.

I did a little research on my own and found a testicular condition called "hydorcele", which is "the accumulation of fluids around a testicle, and is fairly common". It can result from several things including trauma, such as a hernia (or hernia repair surgery - my testicle was fine before the procedure).

So, I went back to the surgeon with my swollen testicle and he ordered a scrotal ultra sound, that confirmed the condition. The ultra sound tech told me it's not uncommon and she has seen guys with scrotums the size of grapefruits. The surgeon reviewed the results and confirmed the hydrocele and said it wasn't worth operating on because, basically, the risks outweigh the benefits. Easy for him to say - he's not the one with the swollen right nut. My right testicle is probably 2 - 2.5x times the size of the left one.

I decided that I'm going to see a Urologist for a second opinion. I'm at the age where I've got to get my prostate checked regularly any way, so I'll kill a couple birds with one stone. Not really loking foward to it.

Well, that's been my experience and I thought I'd share it since I found so little in terms of blogs or forums. I hope it helps.

Google or search "hydrocele" on the 'net and you'll get a ton of hits. Mention the condition to your Surgeon and watch the back-peddling begin.

Also, and lastly, I'm convinced that Doctors cover each others asses, and wont say the procedure was not performed properly resulting in the hydrocele, or whatever the case may be. I think it's an unwritten rule within the profession, like the Mob not "ratting" on each other. Seriously.

Good luck. Please post your experiences.

I had Surgery for Inguinal, and Left side repair with Mesh. - 4/7/08
Near 2 weeks now, Left Testile is 3 times its noromal size. I cannot sit in chair. I have been packing Ice on it throughtout most of days. I go back to see Surgeon on Next Tuesday. After READING all these posts, does not give me a warm comforting feeling. My job is all sitting. No way I can do this for hours on end. I hope he has a good answer for me then.

I note that many people are logging in as "Guest"... why is that? Afraid to own up to your problems? How can you condemn doctors for being cautious if you yourself also do the same?

I am sorry you have having difficulties post surgical procedures. But NO surgury is 100% complication proof. No doctor can predict what your body is going to do or react. All they can do is react to your input on what you are experiencing. If it is not what they expected, you should be surprised if there's some back peddling.

So what if he's angry at hearing they is a problem. Ignore that. Get your answers. Tactfully, demand satisfaction. If you are in pain, stay in his face until you two have worked out a plan to deal with the complication.

If your job requires you to sit for long periods, then it is high time you got up regularly and walked around. TELL YOUR DOCTOR how this is impacting your life. He will work to reduce the discomfort, the impact, the pain. That's his job.

If you are seriously dissatisfied with your doctor, switch. Tell your new doctor right up front why you are changing to him/them. Don't whine and complain about a collegue... you wouldn't put up with it if a member of the public came to you about your coworker, so don't put them in that possition. Instead, tell them frankly about your pain, the complication, and what minimum you expect from them. Tell them if your former doctor could not or would not assist, and why you left. But don't make it a littany of complaints about this and then that and then he said. Just make the point. Ask if they can help.

You might be surprised to find that the sollution is easier than you thought.

You might also find that there is no immediate solution, but something that will work over time and with changes to your lifestyle. Remember, swallowing a pill doesn't always work. Work WITH your doctor.

Hope this helped all of you "Guests" who didn't sign your name or personal ID above. :cry:

looking at this forum i'm not feeling to great now, as a matter of fact i think i'm gettin a bit sick in the stomache, yeah i only just had an open hernia repair surgery yesterday but my right testicle is huge, about the size of a grade A jumbo egg u get at the grocery store, and of course some fluid build up and its really really painful and uncomfortable. if anyone had some comforting words please feel free to share. thank you

My son had hydrocele repair done yesterday. His left testicle was big before the surgery due to all the fluid. He had an open abdominal repair done on it. Today and tonite the testicle is HUGE. I thougth hydrocele repair fixed that? Confused mama here. Any ideas? I realize it is only 36 hours after surgery, but I just assumed the purpose of the surgery was to get rid of the fluid and seal off the tube to prevent fluid from getting back in.

Any ideas?

I had a hernia operation 7 days ago and mine on the side of the surgery is still swollen probably 2.5x normal. I have made another appointment with him and will find out then hopefully something good :-(

ive had two inguinal hernia surgeries (a total of three hernias and going on my fourth next month. my first surgery went by with flying colors at the age of 16, there was hardly a recovery period at all. my second one (on the same spot) was much worse. it was extremely painful. it was two years ago, and never stopped hurting. the surgeon warned it may always feel that way from the scar tissue amount. my new surgeon has recommended a nerve block for fear of a trapped nerve. and yes, that testicle does always feel larger and very sensitive. it even feels like there is a small lump on it, and im now freaked out and going to the doctor asap. hope all is well with everyone else. the tubes leading to this testicle are much larger and painful, especially during intercourse.

ok,ten days ago had a laproscopic hernia repair. It was a fairly painful month b4 surgery. Could only stand for maybe hour at a time and pain seemed to be coming from right lower abdominal wall and r.testical. Now after surgery the abdominal wall is fixed(not distended) and i am standing without all the pain, but i am noticing mor and more that my r. testicle is swelling and is getting very tender. I go for post surgery follow up tomorrow and you can bet your sweet bippy that i will get some answers. Thank you and good luck to all.

I had a hernia repair on my left side 2 and half years back since then my left testicle is small and hard. I also like many of you had a Hydrocyle and I couldn't stand for more then 30seconds to a minute. Does anyone know why it might be small and hard like this? anyone else had the same problem? I am seeing a urologist this Thursday so I hope to find some answers. In case you are wondering I did get the testicle checked out once it became small and hard and my GP told me it was fine its only after reading these sorts of stories I want to get a second opinion.

You guys seem to have bigger problem than me, actually after reading your posts I can say that I have no problem after Hernia open surgery on left side. Before surgery the lump just used to come down pushing the left testicle giving pain to left leg and scrotum skin. After operation I have sense less tissue on the cut but there is no problem having sex etc. or sports or Gym. You guys are crazy. Don't go to Veterinary for Hernia operation there are some good doctors out there. Don't play with your future, take it seriously.

do i do heavy after inguinal hernia fixed ?

hi i had open hernia op 5 months ago my ball has setteled down but the tubes to get quite sore, i an goin to the pain clinic next week for an injection in my side were the 5 inch wound is because it is like painful nots in my side . has anyone had this injection and what is it
keith