I had a left inguinal hernia repaired. Open without mesh. The first day went well with out any issues. The second and third day were really painful but I took the percocet and the antibiotic pills as instructed and did a little walking. I did notice a small hard lump on the second day where the hernia use to be, in my scrotum on the left side. Seemed like the hernia was coming back but a little research suggested it might just be some fluid accumulation. The incision site healed well and is perfect in my opinion. No redness, no swelling and no oozing or anything like that occurred. On the forth day I noticed the swelling or (hard lump) was bigger and more prominent and began to sag into my left scrotum up on my left testicle. I applied ice as much as I could and kept taking the antibiotics. By this point I was gladly able to do without the pain medication. On the fifth and sixth day I definitely noticed the size of the hard lump was increasing on the left side. But this is only affecting the left side of my scrotum as the right side is perfect with no swelling at all and seems unaffected by what going on the left side. I can clearly notice it when I stand up and can feel it causing pressure or feels heavy. Today is the 7th day. 1 week post op and the incision site looks good. But the hard lump in my scrotum is now the size of a small orange or a lemon. Feels like my testicle is swollem t 3 times the normal size. It has definitely grown gradually since I first noticed it. I strongly believe its a fluid accumulation or fluid collection even though it doesn't feel like fluid at all. It even feels firmer than the hernia I had before and 3 times as big where the hernia use to be. I have been treating it with ice but seems to be getting bigger even till today and does not seem to dissipate or reduce. its also feels like its the spermatic cord which is thick and hard and travels upwards into the inguinal canal. Almost feels like a tendon. I'm hoping it will subside or be reabsorbed but will like a little insight on this when you can please. Thank you.

I think what you're describing is maybe a large hydrocele. You'd have to do a light test on it with a very bright flashlight in a dark room to see if the mass is translucent. If it is not, then it might be a hernia or something else - maybe a very large spermatocele that is coming from your epididymis? You really should ask your surgeon about this, though.

Thank you for you answer and consideration. I went back to the surgeon on the 11th day and he said my testicle is swollen. But he didn't really have a clue as to the long thick cord-like mass. He said it was my cord and just said it should go down in 3 months. and "take motrin." It is now 2 weeks since the repair and it doesn't seem to get any better and I now think an even bigger hernia has formed since this feels as though my intestine squeezed through an opening an is now into my scrotum. I am worried that it is now incarcerated as it feels stiff and hard unlike my previous hernia which was easily pushed back in place. I am having an ultrasound today to get some answers. Im hoping for the best. I have another question. I have been trying to research this but find no information at all. If this was another hernia, (even worse than the previous one.) This means the surgery has failed. In that event, do I suggest that the surgeon reoperate and fix the problem? And, is he suppose to if I requested without any further expense? I'm asking because I paid out of pocket for this procedure and am worried that the hernia is back. I do want this fixed. He is a reputable surgeon that specializes in hernias. I just think I may have had another hernia that went undetected and came through right after the surgery. I should know for sure in a few days once the ultrasound is available.

Am also experiencing the same thing as u described. May I know if the swollen hard spermatic cord is fine for u now?

I am experiencing the same thing, just there is a long, wide, but thin cord attached and when I sit at a 90 degree angle it feels very tight and uncomfortable. Any news from anyone on this?????

Same here. Anyone have answers?

Also experiencing this. About 11 days post op. Cord Is most pronounced with erection and is painful. Incision seems to be healing fine. But wondering about nerve damage or entrapment.

So true..feels like the cord wants to retract back into the stomach but cant or something. And i start peeing way after i feel it should be released.so yeah

Also had bilateral inguinail hernia surgery and now there is a solid lump on the left testicle, going to wait a few days. If nothing changes will make appointment with surgeon

Im having the same issue... Everthing else is ok but the spermatic cord is hard n like a stick is poking my left nut..im on my 12 day of recovery

Hi, were you able to find out what the hard cord is?

16 days recovery from hernia surgery spermatic cord pronounced and hard - did lift something heavy which was stupid but is this normal or not can’t seem to find and answer ?

Was wounding if your spermatic cord went away with time or do you still have it ? Thanks mike