My husband had open surgery, with mesh, to repair bilateral inguinal hernias. The surgery was a week ago and he still has massive scrotal swelling. He has a follow-up appointment with the surgeon tomorrow, but I do not have the greatest confidance in the surgeon. How worried should I be?

What happened? I have the same problem. what did the doctor say?

I'm having the same problem. I had right side laprascopic hernia surgery one week ago. My right testicle and scotum are swollen about three times the normal size and very painful. I'm also having shooting pains in my right hip and thigh and running a low-grade fever. What was the result of your doctor's visit? I am seeing mine tomorrow and very worried. :'(

As Willieman, my husband has the exact same problem. He went to the emergency a couple of days ago. His surgeon sent him back home and told him to call the office the next day. He spoke to him yesterday but the doctor doesn't seem concerned. I think we should get a second opinion. It's been 8 days since the surgery and no improvement. There must be something that can be done. At this rate, he'll be on his back forever. What did your doctor say ? He's also having difficulty urinating and having bowel movement because of the pain.

I had bi-lateral open inguenial hernia surgery with mesh about 19 days ago. I had a problem with swelling in my testicle areas, mainly the right side. my right testical was swollen @ three times its normal size. My concern is that my right testical is very hard. It is not painful. I went to my doctor today. He told me that it is collected blood from the hernia repair and that it should have gotten better by now. He was concerned that I may have lost blood flow to my right testicle and he ordered an ultrasound for this Friday. I am very concerned. I may loose the testicle if there is no blood supply to it. On the positive side, he said that if my testicle was dead, that it would be very painful and it would also be infected. I am 44 years old. This surgery has been very hard on me. I think that I would have rather lived with the hernia.

I had open surgery on my left side communicating inguinal hernia 5 days ago and had horrible pain the day of and the day after the surgery. I almost couldn't walk. I called the surgeon the day after surgery because I was concerned that my scrotum was still swollen. I everything would look normal after the hernia surger. It felt like there was "extra stuff" (hard to explain) inside my sctorum besides my testicles. Since my hernia was communicating, I was able to push it back in (before the repair) when I lied down. I had never noticed this "extra stuff" in my scorum before. This was something newly swollen.

When I told him about the swelling, the surgeon said "i repaired your hernia" and said that I might get some black bruising on my scrotum. He mentioned "fluid" but the way he sounded made me think that there should not be so much swelling.

Day 3 managed to stop peeing in a bottle and was able to walk a little bit... but not much.

Day 4 was a little better than day three. Actually got up several times. Even did the dishes and took out 2 trash bags. Even left the house once, although I probably should've just taken it easy. My doctor said blood getting your blood flowing will help with healing.

Day 5 has just begun. I have noticed that the swelling is down some, but my left testicle is still three or so times the size of my right one. It feels like there is also swelling running from the back of my testicle running up toward the hernia repair.

I have read things on the internet about hydroceles but I tried to shine a flashlight through it and it was not transparent.

I suppose I will wait to see what happens. I am seeing the surgeon again in 2 days.

I seem to have almost the same thing going on that you have, what the doc say when you seen him? I have the same swelling on the left side and still some pain. Also notice I have the black bruising on scrotum as well and this is 9 days post op. Love to hear what is going on with you!!!

I just had laparoscopic inguinal surgery on my right side as well and my symptoms are similar to the ones mentioned here.

My right testicle swelled up and the surrounding area is swollen and purple/blue. I am pretty worried about this as the pain can get quite bad.

I am seeing the doctor on Friday and will report results.

I see alot of questions I want to know answers to. Is this a question only thread? Noone answers these things? If so, what a waste.

I am in the same boat - 10 days post - lots of pain in scrotum and right testi swollen. inguinal. not happy. Surgeon seems to dismiss my concerns - waiting for dr callback to discuss,.,.,not enjoying 5 mg of percocet every 6 hours still to remain functional.

Will post results of my findings.,.,.anyone else please do as well

I have the same exact problem its been 9 days since my surgery and my left testicle is swollen to about 3 times the right.. it seems to be bigger than when i had the hernia.. Im worried but tomorrow i go to the follow up appointment and ill post what the doctor said to me. I also have the black and blue color too.. %-)

I had laprascopic hernia surgery 11 days ago and am also still seeing alot of swelling and some pain in right testicle. Dr.'s office again does not seem very concerned - says it may take weeks to go away; but I am concerned. Anybody that previously posted here with same type problem -did it eventually clear up without further medical treatment?? How long did it take??

I had an inguinal hernia repaired on my left side with open surgery 7 days ago. The day after the surgery I was just lying around with numbness in my abdomen and me taking more painkillers. 2 days later I started to get better and be on my feet a lot, though this gave me pain at night time and I had trouble sleeping. On the third night I woke up in agony (sharp stabbing pain) and noticed my girlfriend was stepping on me at the wound site. This worried me a little as it started to be painful once again the following day. Then I noticed that my spermatic chord running from my left side of the groin was tender and had definitely enlarged. This continued, until I was completely worried after researching possible problems on line which made me think I had testicular torsion (same similar symptoms everybody is talking about) and in need of surgery.
Well, I just got back from the doctor and he didn't even look but just told me that I had excess blood clotting in my testes and that the swelling would go away in 3 weeks.
Anyway sounds like we all have the same problem and I guess we are all still here right!!

Just had open hernia surgery four days ago. Scrotum is black at the botton and testes is swollen on same side as hernia. Skin is numb nest to cut. Sharp pains occassionally when sitting or trying to get in or out of car as passenger. Doc says normal. When will is get better? Anyone gone thru this and when does it get good enough to be almost normal again?

I just had a laproscopic hernia done two days ago. My right testicle is larger with a mass around it as mentioned above, and a strange bruise on the bottom of my scrotum. I was told beforehand by my Dr that there would be drainage and bruising as fluid drains into the scrotum and that this was normal. Kinda scary though. BTW, I had two incision hernias done years ago, the laproscopic was to repair an old one and is about 60% less painful...and much less shock to my body, I was getting up to the bathroom pretty easily after getting home.