My husband had a hernia fixed. The operation went smoothly (we thought) and had no complications, but we recently found out he now has antibodies on his sperm and is infertile....the doctor at the clinic said this was most likely caused by the hernia surgery as he's had no other accidents or issues. Is this a reasonable risk for hernia patients? The doctor seemed surprised and kept asking if the surgery was done in a "real hospital", which tells me he thinks the surgeon messed up. I thought this was pretty straightforward, routine surgery...my husband does not remember being told of possible infertility as a result. We are devastated...is this something we should have been told, or what? Just trying to make sense of it all.

Hello.
My boyfriend and I have been together for almost four years now. We have been talking about getting married soon and starting a family. In 2007, while I was in college, he had hernia surgery. He was told the hernia was from his childhood, and should have been operated on at the time. At the time of the surgery, he was 26yrs old. He just told me today, that he was told by his doctor at a routine visit for his surgery, that the chances of him having children were slim to none, and the cause was due to the surgery. The doctor also told him that he should look into filing a law suit against the surgeon, because of the manner in which the operation was done. I too had hernia surgery when I was in the 7th grade, however I think it is different for women. He was told at the time of surgery, he would have no long lasting affects. He is looking into bringing a suit against this doctor, because our dreams of having children have been crushed. I understand how you feel, and I suggest you keep trying because miracles do happen.

I googled can hernia surgery cause infertility & it said yes I have 5 boys 2 from my 1st husband & 3 from my current husband. I also had 2 miscarriages after having my 5 boys. my last miscarriage was May 29th,2011 then Aug.11th my husband had hernia surgery ever since I now cant get pregnant.We want just 1 more 2 make our family complete & after losing 2 our heart aches im very happy I have 5 healthy boys but still would like to have 1 more 2 complete are family.

7 kids to be complete? 

My husband had hernia surgery in 2004 and before that we had five beautiful children and have not been able to have a single one since! Hernia surgery does cause infertility! There's no doubt.

All males have a natural barrier inside the scotum to make a separation between the body's immune system in the blood circulation and the sperm production and storage organs inside the testciles, epididymas, and scrotum. The sperm and sperm production cells have only half of the man's DNA and one sperm will join with a woman's egg cell with half of her DNA to make one new child containing the two halves into one full new DNA sequence in the baby's cells. Since the sperm and sperm production cells only have half of a man's DNA, his immune system sees his own sperm and sperm production cells as being foreign cells that need to be destroyed, just as if they were invading disease or virus cells. So this natural abrrier between a man's sperm production and storage organs and his immune system can possibly be breached or destroyed during any operations, injuries, punctures, or cutting in his scrotum and/or testicles. Once this natural barrier is breached or destroyed, his own immune system can enter into his sperm production and storage orgasn and begin destroying those sperm related cells. There is no effective treatment to stop this immune reaction process once it begins inside a man's testicles and scrotum. Men getting vasectomies for birth control often develop sperm antibodies after the surgery due to the breaching of the immune system and sperm production barrier in his scrotum being cut open to cut and close his two vas deferens tubes to end all sperm delivery during ejaculations. Different men will have immune system problems ranging from none, to mild, to medium, to severe problems once sperm antibodies appear in his blood stream. Some men have no problems at all even with sperm antibodies clearly in his blood stream. The very few servere immune reactions can cause a man's own immune system to literally eat a man's testicles and sperm production cells until they are partially or completely destroyed by his own immune system. Some research indicates that men with higher sperm counts and larger bodies and larger testicles may be at more risk of having the most severe immune system reactions to their sperm cells. This is because they often have higher sperm counts and more sperm cells being produced every day and triggering a greater immune system response to their larger numbers of daily sperm production than men with fewer sperm being produced each day. Some men have vasectomy reversals to try to reverse this immune system response. Some times it works and some times it isn't. Males with other less obvious and not easily located breaches in their natural barriers often cannot be repaired as finding and closing that breach is difficult or impossible to do in many males. Males can freeze and bank sperm for creating their future children lif an immune system response is known soon enough and the sperm banking is completed before sterility occurs.

I am 20 and my boyfriend for 2 year has had a inguinal Hernia. We have been looking at surgery but then something popped in my head about what if we cant have any kids? So I am asking suggestions on should we try for a baby before he has this surgery? Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks so much,
Taja

Hello I read your post me and my boyfriend of 6 years have never been able to have kids he had a hernia surgery when he was very young. It's heartbreaking to me but in your opinion is there any hope for us? It don't look good

I want a dozen. What's your problem?