I have problems with my bladder. I feel pains in it and chronic urinary frequency. It is affecting the quality of my life. Also I feel like symptoms are worsening. Sometimes I can't go out because I am afraid that I will have to urinate and that I will not make it on time. The doctor says that I am suffering from IC. What is exactly IC?

Interstitial cystitis is a severe, chronic bladder disorder that causes frequency, nocturia and suprapubic pain. The disorder usually affects women. Routine urine culture is uniformly negative, and the symptoms do not respond to antibiotic therapy. Scientists think that IC can be inherited. Treatment includes oral medications and it is pointed to reduce the pain and symptoms but it can't cure the disorder. The symptoms may disappear by itself and be back in couple of days, weeks or months, even years.