About 6 months ago, I started having the typical symptoms of a UTI infection and tried to drink some cranberry juice but in general just ignored it. The symptoms soon became unbearable and I got a prescription for Bactrim from my doctor. At that point, I was having dull pains in my sides and although Bactrim helped with the UTI symptoms, it made the dull pains worse. After I was done with Bactrim, I was still having UTI symptoms and went back to one of my doctors for a urinalysis. Supposedly I did not do it correctly but she still said that it didn't matter, I had no infection. I went to another doctor who just looked at my urine in the office and said i had no infection but that she found some protein in my urine. I was sent to get an MRI of my kidneys and everything came back fine and my doctor didn't know what else to do so I just gave up on them since I have no insurance.

That's mainly the backstory. After awhile it seemed like my UTI had completely cleared up. The problem I have now is that I don't have any problems peeing or any pains in my lower back/sides UNLESS I drink even a moderate amount of water (more than 16oz or so) or eat certain foods. If I drink alot of water (as I was always accustomed to doing), I suddenly have pains in my sides, almost like my kidneys are stretching or being pulled and my bladder fills up quickly. I don't have pain in my bladder but I pee very frequently and little comes out. I cannot eat ANY kinds of berries - blueberries, blackberries, strawberries..etc, they immediately give me that stretching pain in my sides that I never experienced before my UTI experience. Teas have the same effect on me. One weird thing I noticed is that my body has the WORST reaction to orange juice which I avoid at all costs. It's as if I have a full blown infection again and the weird thing is that I do not have this extreme reaction when eating oranges. If I stay away from drinking too much water and certain liquids and eating certain foods, I do not have any problems at all but I know this is not normal because I never, ever had these kind of issues before I had a dreaded UTI.

I'm in my early 20's and although I definitely try to avoid what irritates my body, I'm still very scared that something is happening in my body that will erupt when I'm older and I need help figuring out what's going on. Please help, I try to eat healthy, exercise and take care of myself but this is just not going away. I'm sorry if anything was confusing, I'm kind of worn out from being up all night running back and forth to the restroom. I forgot and made the serious mistake of drinking too much water too close to bedtime :-(

Anyway thanks in advance for all your help.

I also wanted to add that I just discovered drinking very diluted cranberry juice actually help with the pain in my upper back but I still have issues with little pee coming out. When I was at my worst point with my UTI and later all these "shadow" symptoms, drinking Cranberry would make me feel so much worse so I have stayed so far away from it. I only tried it earlier this week because I was desperate.

Interstitial cystitis. Took years for me to get diagnosed.