I have been experiencing sharp pains in my bladder area. It happens when I pee and if I push down on the area above my pelvic area, directly above and slight discomfort to the sides. I have had UTI's before and it doesn't feel like the same pain. I am 19 and I have been on the birth control shot for about a year and a half. I don't know if this could be related.

You may have symptoms of cystitis, or interstitial cystitis. Try aspirin for the pain, and cranberry juice to see if they help.

I'd like to add to hoseclamps post.
If it is interstitial cystitis DO NOT drink cranberry juice. The acid from this will only make your symptoms worse with IC.

Hello Reesesnov5,

Somehow I believe that it would be best to see your doctor. Since you had problems with urinary tract infections before it could be that the infection is back and because you didn’t notice it the symptoms maybe got worse than before.

So the first step is to see your doctor and do urine and blood tests to determine the right diagnosis and afterwards you can choose the best treatment option.

About cranberry products.. my sister is drinking cranberry juice and it is really helping her in preventing UTI and reducing the reoccurrence of it. But since you are not sure what is your diagnosis I would wait a confirmation from the doctor and then start with the treatment.