Hi! I am 55 years old. I have osteoarthritis. Everybody say that hip replacement is best to when you are over 60 years. But, my condition bothers me a lot, I can’t walk, I feel pain. Who should have Hip replacement surgery? Can I have hip replacement before I am 60 years old?

Hi! I had Hip replacement surgery two years ago. Hip replacement isn’t simple. But, now I am satisfied with results. The goals of hip replacement surgery include increasing mobility, improving the function of the hip joint, and relieving pain. People with hip joint damage that causes pain and interferes with daily activities despite treatment may be candidates for hip replacement surgery. Osteoarthritis is the most common cause of this type of damage. In the past, doctors reserved hip replacement surgery primarily for people over 60 years of age. The thinking was that older people typically are less active and put less stress on the artificial hip than do younger people. In more recent years, however, doctors have found that hip replacement surgery can be very successful in younger people as well. Today, a person’s overall health and activity level are more important than age in predicting a hip replacement’s success. People who elect to have surgery before advanced joint deterioration occurs recover more easily and have better outcomes. I wish you a best!