Hi, I had come down with a cold few days ago. I did not go to see the doctor because I often get colds that last for few days. But now I am experiencing some symptoms that are new to me. I have started to feel chest pains and I am under the impression that I can not breathe in enough oxygen. It is like my lungs have shrunken. A friend of mine told me that I have bronchitis and that I should take albuterol tablets. Could my friend be right about diagnose and the treatment for it?

Hi, based on the symptoms you have described I would say that your friend is right. The viral infection that caused the cold can sometimes be followed by acute bronchitis. This happens because the infection from the upper breath passageways is transported into the lungs. The condition is treated with bronchodilators that open the narrow passageways in your lungs. Albuterol is one of the most used bronchodilators. It opens the inflamed air passages and makes it easier for you to breath. Still, albuterol can cause serious side effects so it should not be used without the doctor's approval. In fact, it would be best for you to go to see a doctor who will do necessary examination and determine the right diagnose and the course of treatment.