I mostly run on the treadmill, and sometimes I get bored and can't really focus on my run, so I'll bag it early (example 2.25 miles when I wanted 5). But since I usually use the weights after I'll do a few sets and then hop on the treadmill for a lap or two, get off, do more sets repeat. I still usually come up a little short of my goal but add a mile or so to the total. Is this cheating? Am I ripping myself off?

Sounds a lot like an aerobic/anaerobic debate. If you said you were logging some mileage on a bicycle or rower, I'd have no prob in saying there's plenty of wiggle room to substitute mileage one for the other in reaching your weekly goal. But the anaerobic nature of lifting is a whole different type of training, good in it's own right, but prolly not adequate as a running substitute. :twocents:

As long as it works for you, who cares? I'm so anal, I measure everything to the 1/10 mile, but it certainly doesn't make me a better runner. Many people just run for time and don't track miles and I doubt they worry about being off a bit, or over a bit.

(Now, if you're on another team during one of our competitions...then it's cheating! If you're on my team, then keep it up)

you're still getting a calorie burn, but i think if you're wanting to build endurance for running, then yeah, it's not helping. it's still sounds like a workout to me. i think it's hard to lift and run on the same day

I wouldn't say it's cheating. When you get back on the 'mill do speedwork and then use your lifting as a recovery.

no......but maybe you should look into "pump and runs"!!!!!!!!!!! :)