1) I'm at a point where I can run 8 - 1/4mi. repeats at a pace I'm happy with. Should I work on going for 10-12 repeats, or should I focus on doing 8 at a faster pace?

2) I'm having a hard time doing the cool down part of my interval workouts. Should I be worried about that? I'm usually just doing 1 mile.

Goals :: A faster 5K and short distance duathlons. No marathons or long distance multi sport events coming up soon.

I'll answer this like so many of my emails directed towards many of our VPs get answered: Yes. No really, IMHO, I really do mean "yes" on 1. Add more (to a point obviously). You'll speed up. Now with 5k as your goal this may be the wrong angle, but maybe mix it up by adding in ladders, ie, workouts of 400, 800, 1200, 1600 with 400 inbetween each. 2) slow it down, man! and/or add another 1/2 mile-mile. **the irony that this response regarding speedwork is from the slowest runner on the site should not only be noted and enjoyed when reading this. Thank you.

what kind of rest are you taking in between?? I guess what I'm getting at.....are these your intervals where you are taking complete rest, and then you have a second speed session during the week where you run a tempo run/or do a threshold workout?

If you do only one "speed" session per week......I'd start converting intervals into "cruise intervals" or "threshold runs"

When you say "you are happy" with the pace. Do you mean "it's become comfortable" or "you are completing the intervals are your goal pace"? If they've become "comfortable. I'd consider upping the pace. If you are hitting your goal.....I'd look at taking less recovery time (1/2 lap actively jogging) and push it up to 10. Even better, consider 800s or 1000s (I'd probably not do 1200s+ for 5k training)

what kind of rest are you taking in between??
8 x 1/4 mi. @ goal pace with 1/4 mi. @ 8 min./mi. recovery. No stopping, the treadmill is always running.
I'm doing 1/4 mi. and 1/2 mi. repeats each week for the last couple of weeks. I may switch off to one intervals session and one tempo run because 2 x intervals is kicking my butt. What do you think?
Happy with my pace definitely doesn't mean that it's become comfortable, it just means that I'm stuck between going faster or doing more intervals. (did that make sense?)

FWIW, I only do a 1 mile cooldown after track workouts. It is the exact distance from the track to my house. And it is a slow death march.

I'd be more inclined to pick up the pace than do more. If you're feeling really ambitious, you can do both. Instead of dropping the pace by 10 seconds, drop it by 5 seconds and do an extra repeat. Best of both worlds, no?