Hi, three months ago I got fired from work. I took a few days to think about my future and began to look for a new job. That is when my troubles started. After being rejected by a couple of firms I started to feel depressed. I had no idea that looking for a job would be that hard. I started to have trouble sleeping. Sometimes I have the feeling that the whole world is against me. In fact, there are moments when I am too scared to go out of the house because I fear that my family will not let me inside when I come back. My husband says that I am psychotic. I know that these ideas are absurd, but I do not think that I am crazy. Can you please tell me if maybe my husband is right? Am I psychotic?

Hello, psychosis is a condition that causes person to have hallucinations and irrational thoughts and fears. You might be suffering from psychotic depression. This is the most common type of psychotic disorder. You have some of the typical symptoms of psychotic depression. The hallucinations and absurd thoughts and ideas are common to all psychotic disorders, but only people with psychotic depression are aware that these thoughts are not consistent with reality. If psychotic depression is not treated it can lead to suicide attempts. You should listen to your husband and seek a professional help immediately.