Hi, couple of days ago I saw a television program about psychotic personality. I wasn't paying much attention, but the concept of psychotic personality stuck with me. I am wondering what the term psychotic personality means. Does it imply that the signs of psychotic disorders can be seen long before the illness strikes? Can people be tested to determine if they have a psychotic personality? And finally, if this is true why don't the doctors treat people with psychotic personalities before they develop a more serious psychotic condition?

Hello, if there were a test which could determine if a person is going to develop a psychotic disorder before it actually happens, than there wouldn't be so many people suffering from some kind of psychotic disorder. It is true that psychotic disorders are inheritable, but this does not mean that if a person has a parent who suffered from psychosis, that he or she will suffer from it as well. People are not born with psychotic personalities. Psychosis is a condition in which a person suffers personality changes. These changes are usually consequence of a stressful event. This means that the term psychotic personality is used to describe a change in personality induced by a psychotic episode. These changes are present only during the psychotic episode.