One month ago when I visited my parents after 3 years I found out that my father has psychotic episodes. It was very scary watching him going through this. And the sadest thing is that I could not help him. Can someone give me more informations about these psychotic episodes? How can I help my father?

Psychosis is a temporary mental state. A person experiences a psychotic state for a while, then they come out of it and it is important to know that no one is born psychotic. Things that usually characterize a psychotic episode are an underlying chemical imbalance which makes the person vulnerable, a distinct change in the thought process, pain, lack of understanding of the real world and many others. Psychosis is most likely to occur in young adults in their twenties and can affect anyone including men and women from all walks of life. A typical psychotic episode manifests itself in form of hallucinations (believing something is there that actually is not there), delusions (believing something is true that couldn't possibly be true). The most common delusion is paranoia, fear that gets way out of hand, fear that you can not control. People who are experiencing psychotic episodes are constantly afraid that bad things will happen to them or that people will hurt or betray them. The most common thing that happens during a psychotic episode is that a person has a lot of trouble talking straight. It is important not to confuse the people who endure psychotic episodes with their symptoms. Not everybody diagnosed with mental illness have psychotic episodes and not every mentally ill person experiences hallucinations, delusions, or severe difficulty talking. Most people make a full recovery from the experience of psychosis. If you want to help your father you should tell him to visit his doctor to get an idea what is causing his condition.