Hi, it has been two months since I got divorced. The whole experience was very stressful, but I managed to get through it. Now, when everything is finally over, I am starting to feel depressed. There are days when I just can't get out of bed, but I have trouble sleeping. I am beginning to think that I am guilty for the divorce, even though I am aware of the evidence of my husband's affairs that led into divorce. Sometimes I even think about suicide. It seems like nothing makes sense any more. I think that I am having a breakdown. Is there something I can do about it?

Hi, every person copes with stress differently. Some people are stronger, while others can not react in the right way when confronted with the stressful situation. A psychotic breakdown can result as a reaction to a stressful situation. A divorce can be an overwhelming experience for anyone. I am sorry that you are having such a severe reaction to it. Some of the symptoms you have described can be interpreted as signs of a psychotic breakdown. Your lost of interest in everyday things and suicidal thoughts are consistent with psychosis. While these episodes can go away without any special treatment, I believe that you need professional help. Talking with the psychiatrist will benefit you tremendously. He will also evaluate the possibility of psychotic breakdown developing into a psychotic disorder and prescribe you necessary therapy to avoid this scenario.