hello,
I thought I would post my recent sinus issues here in hopes that someone has experienced similar symptoms and may be able to offer some insight.

over a month ago I had a cold/siuns issue that some one at work gave us all. virtually everybody at work had this, It took a month for me to get rid of...I thought. the stuffiness always seemed only to be on the left side of my head/sinus. during this period I went to the dr. and recieved a course of antibiotics. I had a burning sensation in my left nostril left side roof of my mouth and sinus, clear discharge and sneezing I also some slight yellow discharge only a couple times within that period.I also had significant light headedness and fatigue etc. for about a week. after that the sneezing stopped and I no longer had and color to the discharge out of my nose.

now it's about week 6 (im on my 4th course of antibiotics) and I have had daily constant severe burning sensation in my left nostril and sinus and pressure on the same side this whole time. this burning seems to increase as the day goes by and is making it extremely difficult to function at my work. I have a near impossible time getting any sleep at night (about 4 hrs. at best) and when I wake the pain is right there again. when I wake I want to go right back to sleep im so tired. the burning sensation is constant it is truly maddening!

I have been doing nasal irrigations (neti-pot) for about 2+ weeks, initally this seemed to help a little. now it dosent seem to be doing anything noticable.

I made an ENT appointment , I havd to wait 3 weeks...I have 1 week left.
I suspect sinusitus, I pray for some relief /cure. I am truly losing my mind!

Your trigeminal nerve is inflamed and you need something to help your body settle down. I just went to the doctor for the same thing. I had a cold, and at the end of the cold developed this burning pain in my left sinuses that spread to my forehead and my eye, with no congestion or seeming cause. Sometimes it felt like something was fizzing in my nose near my eye, or expanding, but mostly just a horrible burning sensation like the worst dry nose you have ever had up near your forehead. I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia of the branch that goes around your eye. It is acutally atypical facial neuralgia, but if it doesn't get under control, it goes into trigeminal neuralgia. It is very common, one out of five thousand, and probably more that are misdiagnosed. The way to treat it is with an antidepressant/anti-anxiety and a pain reliever such as Motrin (3 tablets 3 times a day until the pain subsides). It is brought on by stress and anxiety, although it had up to 30 different causes. You have to have something physical going on to have it begin, such as a cold, or being around something toxic like a lot of dust or paint fumes. But it is your body's way of handling some sort of environmental stress be it physical, emotional, or otherwise. You are not crazy, it is real, and there is relief. A CT scan won't show it unless you have an actual lesion on your trigeminal nerve. It is not a brain tumor, or anything life threatening. You can control it best by managing stress, taking a pain reliever, and possibly something to calm your nerves (they call it nerve pills for a REASON).

Cricket28 this is great information. I have had similar symtoms in my left eye. It started in April when I got a bronchitis. I was starting to feel better when I had an unexpected anxiety atack. Then my left eye felt like it was under extreme pressure and the cormer of my eye in to the top of my nose constantly burned. I also had vision and equilibrium issues. It is now August and I have been to the eye doctor and regular doctor several times with no solution. I agree it is true insanity. Unfortunately, I am on antidepressant/anti-anxiety medicine and it has made it disipate. Thanks for the insight though. I will have to do more investigation. It's nice to know I am not alone.

Cricket28, I'm sitting here in my hotel room searching for relief from these headaches that start at the top of my eye tooth, through the nostril, up to the left temple and right behind the eye.

A simple cough is enough to set off a migraine. I thought it may be nerve related given its pattern.

I sure hope your suggestions can help me. And it did start when I was under a lot of stress. Thanks

Thanks for your post Remo West and Cricket28!

I have been having the same symptoms. Severe burning that won't allow me sleep or concentrate - no congestion.

I used to be prone to severe sinunitis and ended up having to have surgery because I was systematically developing allergies to antibiotics. This is the first time since my surgery five years ago that I have had a bad sinus problem. Strange thing is that the burning has persisted even though the congestion has gone away. Still, I thought I had sinusitis because my temp is a little elevated (99.7), but I am SO against antibiotics that I was hoping for a different solution.

I am going to bring the info from your posts into my doctor tomorrow so we can set a course for recovery! :-D Thanks!

Remo, what was your diagnosis and how did things turn out?

I have gone through some of the worst sinus problems of my life, for the past 4-5 years.

I've finally limited down to food allergies, more specifically MSG, sulfites and other preservatives.

If you have any sort of gastrointestinal issues, like gas after eating Chinese etc. - look into it!

Make sure to check out the list of symptoms and see if you have anything else similar there.

I am going through the same symptoms. Please write again after your ENT appointment.
Thank you

to make a long story short,the ENT found nothing. I have since been to cleveland clinic and nothing was fouint there either. I also was at MHNI, a head pain institute in michigan for 18 days in september-october 2009.they "attempt" to treat people with severe headpain issues there,and are sometimes successful. you are also no less that a zombie due to all the medications. It's potentially worse than the condition being treated. during my stay I recieved many courses of I.V. and oral drugs , as well as 5 nerve blocks. nothing had and significant positive effect on my pain. It also left me with a huge medical bill, even with good insurance. I am considering acupuncture, but based on my financial situation this cost prohibitive, and not covered by insurance.

so I am not any better off than when I started. I have tried about enerything their is to offer out there,and nothing works.im miserable with pain every minute of the day. the only relief I get is when I can finally faii to sleep. hopefully the rest of you can find a cure,or at least some relief.

I also am having burning sinus pain (mostly on the left side) from the nose to the back of the head. I also get these tingling feeling there as well. I feel like my equilibrium is a little off and it is driving me crazy!!! Every time I get the feeling, my stomach begins to get a little queezy. I went to an ENT and he checked my ears and found nothing. He also tested me for allergies, and was allergic to nothing. I had a CT scan done and will find out this week if it is indeed sinusitis. I started to think the cause was from a bad tooth on the left side that grew into an abcess and had to be removed and drained. I just finished a course of antibiotics for the surgery and hoped it would help the sinus issue, but it did not. I am scared because it's impacting every moment of my day. The only time I feel ok is when I am sleeping. Once I wake up it starts all over again and get worse throughout the day. I also have no congestion, but have thick flem that comes down from the back of my nose from time to time throughout the day. I am constantly spitting it up because it's gross to swallow. This issue is consuming me. I have a 2-year old son who I can't deal with right now because of my issue. I feel like I am yelling at him all the time. I feel bad, but can't take the way I am feeling and I don't want to be bothered. Please write if anyone else is having the same symptoms.

I've been reading the posts and thought I'd mention what my ENT thinks my symptoms are. I have the intense burning in my left nostril and ear. He thinks it is acid reflux. He said it is uncommon but happens in some people. He told me to go back on my acid reflux medicine which I had stopped taking and check back with him in a month. I'll see what happens. Maybe this info will be helpful to someone else.

I have been having severe burning in my sinuses on and off for a while. I don't have congestion, or mucus like a normal sinus infection, and right now it's primarly on the right side, not the left, but does go back and forth. It also seems to be a lot worse right after I run. I had such a severe headache from it last night, I put cold compresses on my face and head to try and sleep , but still no relieve. After reading the posts regarding the left sided burning and being related to stress, etc. I might agree, since I am under a lot of stress, however I am already on an antidepressant, and as I said it's not primarly left sided. Anyone have any other suggestions, or solutions? I take allergy meds everyday, and have tried nasal sprays, but it's never completely gone, and I really don't think it's an actual sinus infections, since I have no temp, no mucus, and only occasionally a bloody tinge. Just a lot of burning, right up through sinuses to eye and pain around eye and in head?

this is a serious question so please dont take it as a joke because I am having the same symptoms with the burning nostril thing and I was just wondering if any of you snort or have snorted cocaine?

i have same issue, burning sensation on the left nose and roof of mouth for more than 5 years. I have consulted many ENT specialiests but in vain. Recently i have starting taking black seed (quater teaspone) after meal morning and evening. I am feeling better. I will let you know once cured 100%. Take black seed after meal two times dailly, chwing it properly and swallow. In the begening you will feel little sore but slowly it will become better. Good Luck.

Hi Guys,
I mentioned in the above post of using black seed. Let me tell you the rest of the story. When i sratred the black seed after 3 days i got cold and flue with lot of snazing. i did not take any medicon except panadol. Flue was there for two days and then it is gone. Thereafter i feel back of my nosal and upper throat was much softer. I contenue taking black seed till today and now i have completed almoset two weeks and i feel 99% better. I am sure after it will be 100% cured after a month. i will post again after i feel 100 % fine. Actually after starting black seed, in the beggening you will get littel sickness like cold or flue or snazing which breaks sinus or tightness of the sickness and than it starts curing but you will feel the difference after one or two days use. After disopointing from all doctors finaly i tried black seed because of Prophet's (SAW) hadees that black seed is the cure of all the diseases except death.