Thank you so much again. Ugh I feel so up and down. I slept better last night and work was OK at first then throughout the day I let my worry take over. Spent the last few hours worrying I would never be normal again. And that led to almost a full on panic attack after work. I had a really good night last night now I feel like I have taken 100 steps back. Like I have had no improvement. I just feel so awful with head pressure and burning skin. So disconnected from everyone. Had this happened to you? I just see no end!

I had a feeling of doom and gloom and my heart rate was as though I was running, and it stayed that way 24-7. It did not let up at all for about two weeks, then it was slow improvement after that. Have you seen a doctor about getting some codeine or tranquilizers to help you through the worst of it? Though the tranquilizers did not help me, everyone is different, and they may help you. Though codeine was more helpful. I only needed very small amounts to help me, so it was not affecting my ability to work or anything. I think people like us who are sensitive to the flonase type of steroid are canaries in the coal mine, a warning for the rest. I do not need large amounts of any drug to feel it's affects, so perhaps you are the same. If you do try a drug you may want to take small amounts at first until you find what works for you. I think your recovery will be a forward and back process. I have some other nasty illnesses, and some days I feel like you expressed it, taken 100 steps back, but slowly (in the case of my interstitial cystitis) very slowly I have improved. By the way, my sinus troubles that caused me to take the flonase to begin with, all went away along with the joint pains and I experienced a reduction in headaches when I changed my diet. When you are feeling normal again you may wish to look into a diet change. In the mean time, distraction really helps, and laughter. I watched a Fawlty Towers dvd, any comedy you enjoy will help, conversation with friends, anything like that can at least bring a temporary lessening of symptoms. Write any time, I care.

Thank you so much. You do give me hope. I just wanted to check in. I am still fighting the fight over here! I have not been back to the doctor for meds because I really do not want anxiety meds as I had been given a week's worth in the past to help me sleep when I was sick and being so sensitive I went through a terrible withdrawal from those. It took months of my life having to slowly taper :( that was 5 years ago and felt SO similar to this . I don't ever take anything and never had anxiety issues since that time and then taking the flonase 3 weeks ago. I think I may be seeing some improvement though. I was able to make it to work all week as we only worked 3 days, I am sleeping a little better and no more night sweats. I have been able to nap if that's what you can call it The past two days for short periods of time and though I have no appetite for the most part I am able to eat enough to where I have not lost anymore weight. I can say it seems like the anxiety had died down BUT only to be replaced with the horrible thoughts of doom and depression. I defiantly feel far from myself and still have complete lack of interest in anything. The worst is I fear that I will never be normal again. I just got some cortisol calm supplements I am going to try at night to help sleep and when anxiety revs and just keep trying to push through and cry it out. Hopefully this depression and fearful intrusive thoughts are a part of the process. Thank you so much and I welcome any further words of encouragement. It really really does mean the world! Hopefully next time I post will be the time that I have good news!

Thanks for posting, I was wondering how you were getting on. The cortisol calm sounds like a good idea. I took, and sometimes still do take, ashwaganda, it is a herb and it helps support your adrenals and your system in general.Licorice root is also good for this and neither of them should give you side effects, though of course only you can be the judge of that. I found ashwaganda did help me sleep.Licorice root tea is delicious and I don't even like licorice normally. When you are having anxiety, depression, or physical pain your adrenals put out a lot of cortisol, therefore supporting them at this time is a good idea. All i can suggest for the doom and gloom is more company and comedy, distraction is a great thing with this type of depression. Someone to really talk to, that is wonderful, but again, not always easy to find.
The codeine is not an anxiety med, but it sure stops a nasty cough. It is also constipating if you take too much, but it was the only thing that helped me without nasty side effects. The depression with it's lack of interest is very, very hard and I am so sorry you are going through this. If you are scared to see a doctor, (and justifiably so), maybe try a naturopathic doctor. I have had a lot of help from a naturopath. I don't know if you can afford it, but if you can it would be worth a try. My medical plan covers a portion of a naturopath's fee, but not everyone is so lucky. It sounds like you have had some improvement, so that is encouraging. If it doesn't improve soon though, you may want to try some professional help, though I totally understand the reluctance to try new meds. The fear that you will stay this way is understandable too, definitely, but you will get better, don't give in to thoughts of not getting better. Thoughts are so very important at any time, especially when we are going through anx. or depression. It is hard, but take control of your thoughts. When you get a downer or scary thought, immediately replace it with a better one. Maybe not a really sunny thought if that seems too far away from where you are, but simply reach for a better feeling thought. Self talk is important, watch what your thoughts are saying to you and make them just a bit more positive, then a little bit more positive, etc. Little by little you will get there, life will be worth living again. Sorry to be so long winded. I'm here and listening so write any time you want to. You will have a better 2016, so dare I say-Happy New Year, you will get there.

I am so relieved to see this forum. I've had history with anxiety attacks, I took Flonase for the first time and woke up in the middle of the night with increased heart rate and shaking all over my body. It was a terrible attack and the only thing I did differently was take Flonase that day. Hope everyone finds some relief.

Thank you so much again for your response again it means more then you know. I was waiting to write again until I hopefully felt better or at least saw great improvement but unfortunately that is not the case. 7 weeks later and still not myself. The anxiety is better then in the beginning but still crying every day and dealing with the depression and anxiety. The worst part about it is my life is GREAT the only thing that is making me depressed and anxious is my health and how all these symptoms make me feel and not being able to control the worry at times. It is a great struggle every day but with the help of my loving boyfriend by my side at work and home and frequent calls with my loving family I am pushing through the best I can. I just cannot wait to be better. Some nights I sleep better then others but have horrible night sweats every night. Still Trying to push through this without any additional meds because I know now how sensitive my body is and I was fine before all this without them. Surely healing must be coming soon!! Thank you so much again. Your words give me hope!!

I am happy to hear from you, I wondered how you were. I am so sorry to hear that you are still suffering badly from this. Though you have had a little improvement, so perhaps you are just healing very slowly. Are you still taking the cortisol? Has it made a difference to your sleep? Have you ever had tylenol 3 or cough syrup with codeine? If so, how did you react to them? Have you tried adding 10-15 minutes of meditation to your daily routine? (Also hormones can have a big effect on anxiety, if you were on the pill and stopped, etc., menopause, don't know if any of these things apply to you but hormone fluctuations can certainly exacerbate anxiety symptoms. ) The days can drag by when you feel like this and a minute can seem like an hour. That's when meditation helps. Even a mini two minute "bathroom break" , meditation routine can help. I found it took a few weeks of practice and now it works very quickly for me if I need a quick calm down or can't sleep. I used autogenic training when I also had very bad physical pain, and it is very calming, and even helped the pain a bit.
I am so glad you are able to converse with family members frequently and that your boyfriend is so supportive. These are lifelines for sure.

Is there any counselling in your area? Perhaps you will need to try and access some professional help. If you don't want to take medications then tell the doctor or counselor how you feel and hopefully you could find one that will work with you. I understand that fear because some of the prescription drugs, not just flonase, were very harmful to me, but I wouldn't want the things I say to scare you away from one that is potentially good.

I identified with what you said about your life being good now, other than your health. I went through some hard times and then it seemed that when my life was finally happy, I became ill. It was like looking at this nice life through a window with my nose pressed up to the glass, but I couldn't get in. So near,and yet so far as they say. But you will get in, try to keep a watch on your thoughts, they are so important for retraining the anxious brain. So much easier said than done, I know, I don't mean to sound like this is just la-te-da.

I have not forgotten about you, hang in there, I send you love and hope you will be better very, very, soon

The same thung happened to me. I used it for one night and it has been a nightmare....can't sleep, rapid heart beat and panic attack..!!!

How long has this been going on?

Do you know, I am so relieved to read this post. My daughter (13) was prescribed flixonase, not only did she suffer anxiety but got extrememly violent and paranoid. I took her off the flixonaise straight away and she returned to normal for about three weeks then it all came back only worse. he doctors think I'm nuts thinking it was the flixonase. I talked to my friend who is a pharmacist and she said I should have weened her off the flixonase and thats why the anxiety came back. We went through 6 weeks of violent rages, her head butting the walls, scratching at her face and having little or no sleep. The only solution for her was to put her on an anti-anxiety drug to flick the switch off that the flixonase switched on. I am so angry that my lovely upbeat happy go lucky girl has had to endure what she has. We didn't know whether she was just being naughty or what it was but since being on the anti anxiety drug she is slowly coming back to her old self. I truely believe there should be some form of warning about this!!

I am so sorry to hear about what your daughter, and therefore your family, have had to endure. All of us, and I suspect there are many, need to get this message out to the public. Beware of nasal corticosteriods! I tell my doctor when I have a bad reaction to any drug. I highly doubt that he passes that on to the drug company. He also told me it couldn't be the flonase, but he's been so wrong about a lot of stuff. Physicians must be made to report their patients adverse reactions, but they don't. A word to those of you following this, it has been my experience that to slowly cut down is the best way to get off of a drug that you need to stop taking, but it usually works best if you have been on that drug for a while, otherwise, as soon as you suspect the drug is the thing causing your problem, stop. That is just my opinion, that's all, I am not a doctor- and we all react differently, so I just offer it for what it's worth. I have "flashbacks" of anxiety from my experience with this drug, but they are getting less frequent. I hope that your lovely daughter is soon back to her old self.

Thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately my daughter was on flixonaise for a couple of months before we realised that it was that causing the problem. It was diagnosed because she was feeling pressure in her ears and that kind of pain alone would drive you nuts (It was then discovered it was her TMJ causing her grief). It was only when I sat down and thought to myself what had changed and researched flixonaise/flonase on the internet that I stopped it.....just wished I had of researched more as I did find an article later that said to come off it slowly. All in all I would say this has been one of the worst periods of my life and equally so for my daughter and our family. She has had to endure so much and it has taken so much out of her but I can see the old sparkle starting to show again and that just makes me smile!!

I so hope that her sparkle continues to return, what a nightmare this has been for you. Hope it is soon just a bad memory. Like many others you have had to advocate for yourselves and do your own research. It is the only way. TMJ makes sense for the ears and sinuses. I have had that kind of pain and several episodes of burst eardrums. After many years of repeated sinus infections I saw a naturopath who diagnosed food intolerance. Within days a lifetime of stuffed sinuses was over!

If the other person who is following this thread is still reading this, let me know how you are.

Hello! Yes I am still following and thank you so much for your last message of encouragement. When feeling crappy it is hard to write back because sometimes it makes me think about it more when talking about it. But I do really appreciate it..thank you so much for your kindness and sending your love. Your messages have definitely helped me through. Whenever I feel as if I will never get better I would remember your words and how you and others DID get better! I can finally say that I think I am officially on the upward swing of things!! I have seen many improvements this week. Many better days at work and way less tears. I still have a ways to go as I still have the general disconnected feeling, Sleep is still not perfect but much better, Some anxiety/negative thoughts but that is way better and still some depression but that too is slowly lifting. A couple weeks ago I wrote a long list of all my symptoms from the very begging and have been crossing them off as they fade so seeing that has given me hope as I was able to even cross off several right away. More have gone then I have remaining! I just cannot wait to be better and when I am I vow to help anyone know they are not alone just like you are doing!!! Thank you so much and I WILL be in touch.