hi! I'm wondering if there is anything I can do about my anxiety. I haven't been to the doctor about it because I'm afraid that it won't be "severe" enough and I won't receive medication. My anxiety affects me everyday life, particularly driving. I dread driving (it started after I rear ended somebody-it was my fault, but it emotionally scarred me) and avoid it at all times. when I have to drive, my heart beats fast, I sweat, and have constant fear and panic. I tend to imagine unrealistic situations while I'm driving and freak myself out. It's also prominent when I go to sleep. I am frequently restless and have chest pain/pressure and have a little trouble breathing. If it matters, I am a 17 year old girl with a high stress level due to school and sports. What can I do to help this horrible feeling? I hate it.

Hi Guest and welcome to the family.....

Im an anxiety /depression sufferer. Sometimes I have good days other are bad ..Before my anxiety was very high.....like u said I couldnt breath......my heart starts to beat fast .....couldnt concentrate at work.....feeling a lot dizzy and light headed.....Sweating especially during the night when Im sleeping and then wake up in a full blown panic attack......Mine started with an obsession on my health I had a freckle/mole on my chest and I kept saying to my mind that it was a melanoma cancer.....After that panic attacks started to hit me ...left right and centre......I couldnt go out of my house with the fear that I will have a panic attack infront of people....My day seemed dull and grey ......i wasnt motivated .....

The thing is that if you fear the anxiety it feeds you more from you ....Understand what I mean?.....Start to do simple and easy task at first steps....u feel better slowly ...this is not a matter of overnight healing....Do your hobbies ...keep ure mind at task just try and concentrate on other things u like....for me for example , I love Photography......taking pictures is my hobby and it really works because radically it changes my mood and somehow i feel better ......Dont let ure mind starts to wonder.....

Another thing in the morning which I make.....I keep 20 mins after waking up for myself ....just close your eyes breath slowly and thing about all the positive things u have around....If you have a family, kids, friends....think about how they feel about u and u about them .....how much u mean for them....that will start ure day on a positive attititude.....

If you have a facebook or something maybe i can explain better , and we can share our experience , btw im male 33 ( sorry not to mention before) im from Malta.....

You can find me on facebook : Gilbert Camilleri ......im a photographer so my profile pic theres me with with my canon:)

Dont be shy to ask questions....youll soon feel better day after day:)

Best regards and Good day,

Gilbert

hi , i sufferd from anxiety , depression and pannic attacks, just to start , theres no level of surverness its a matter of catching it early so if you were to go he would mainly offer you medication, dont thake them they take a year to work and its not dealing with the problem its hideing it , i went to see a counciler she said mine had been so mad she wanted to see me weekly its usualy once a month , but i will try to help , anxiety is in your head and you control your thaughts , you are only feeling this because you alow yourself to feel that way , you train your brain that thats how you want to think and everythings now negitave , try and look for positives in everything you say make sure you say one positive thing in all things you say , keep changing your thaughts to positives and try and train you mind to say Get real!! when you worry about somthing , worrying causes alot more problems than being layd back belive me , nothing scares me now , :) chin up :)

its not true what ure saying ......medications take 4 to 6 weeks to take effect im on medication and starts feeling the benefit from it......it a slow process i know but its a life saver!!

regards

well if you want to say it works then it works but there is no form in medication to help your mental state as thats down to you , they have herbal remedys in them and kalms and other things to help calm and relive stress but these do not help the problem face on , the out come i got from the tablets did not help me nor my father or my 2 friends they say it helps for a while , i smile every day and belive in my self more than ever and i feel happyest about is im not worrying and im not scared , i beat my problem , on my own , besause i alowed myself to be strong enough , anyone can :) its a matter of doing , and full force , i sufferd anxiety and got worryied about everythin and when i read the back of the box the side affects it scared the hel out of me , i froze , it is true , you your self is the best cure

I too agree medication does help and works quickly. I am on Efexor150mg per day plus i talk with a phsioligest regulary without these both items i would hate to think where i would be today.

I supose its a matter of what works but for me a phsioligest is what really helped me out im now not seeing her or I anything , don't you wonder when you will stop reling on medication tho ? That was my worry ,

getfunky79(Gilbert), Your comment really resonated with me, as I am an aspiring photographer with a debilitating anxiety disorder. I was actually diagnosed with the anxiety/panic disorder about ten years ago, but I was always able to function normally. I held a job, traveled, and generally enjoyed life....until last February, when I started experiencing severe panic attacks from a stressful teaching job. I walked away from that job, didn't even give any notice other than saying, 'I'm not coming in anymore. I quit.' I was a mess for a several weeks, and decided I'd take a customer service job just right down the street from my house. It wasn't two months later before I did the same thing at that job; starting having severe attacks again and just left and said I couldn't come back. A few months later, I was also diagnosed with diabetes, so I thought for sure I was on the brink of death. I haven't been back to work since, and have struggled since about June to get out on my own. At the same time, with the help of my husband, all during those summer months I focused on my photography to try and keep myself busy. I started posting pictures on Facebook and people starting asking me for portraits and were willing to pay me. While this was great, it was also very difficult because it meant I HAD to go out and I was always super panicky before each session. I wouldn't go without my husband and even having him there, I was still a nervous wreck. I almost bailed on a couple photo sessions I was so anxious. Anyway, it'll be a year ago this week when my life started to fall apart. I am doing better, no doubt. I'm sticking with the therapy I started last May(which I've never done my whole life), got on the RIGHT medication(i was on the wrong one for years), and made lifestyle and diet changes that helped me lose weight. But I'm still in the recovering stage. I still can't go very far from the house when I'm alone, which means I still have to have my husband or someone else with me on photo sessions. Unfortunately, I always see this as a weakness. I have SO much drive to get my photography career off the ground and also to pursue other dreams, but I feel like my fears are still inhibiting me! I'm wondering how long it's going to take for me to get back to "normal" so that accomplish everything I have set in my heart to do. I'm going to try your suggestion about spending the first 20 minutes after waking up, breathing and thinking of positive things around you. Thanks for listening!