I have been experiencing chest pain for over than one month. Sometimes I think that I have a heart attack. I went to my doctor and he told me that I am experiencing chest pain because of my anxiety problems. Can someone tell me why these two things are related?

Anxiety or panic attacks are characterized by repeated episodes of intense anxiety and fear. Anxiety can be a normal "alarm system" alerting us to danger. However, sometimes anxiety can be out of control, giving us sense of fear for no apparent reason. Panic attacks occur without warning and generally without an identifiable cause. They are often accompanied by chest pain that is most likely caused by muscle contractions in the chest wall. The pain is usually localized to the chest wall and can be fleeting and sharp. Also, it can be a sharp "catch" that interrupts a breath. The chest wall can remain sore for hours or days after a panic attack and the severity of the chest pain is often magnified by the panic disorder itself. Anxiety disorders are highly treatable and often very disruptive to an individual's life. Patients with diagnosis of anxiety disorder should seek active medical treatment from an understanding doctor because some of the doctors often brush off patients presenting with chest pain who are found to have anxiety disorders.

my name is tori, i have been diagnosed wilh ocd about health. ie. if i have a sore leg it could be a blood clot and pain in my cheast is a heart attack.people think im rellly strange when i try to explain,but its far from funny. people wiht ocd about switching off plugs can walk away eventually,i cant! i cant escape my own mind playing tricks.i developed panic attacks last year and its just spiraled out of control my doctor has put me on fluoxatine but im frightened of taking them because of side affects. no one understands does anyone else feel like this???

I completely understand about the panic attacks and not wanting to take the medicines.They can be very dangerous a lot of the times.I have taken stuff that put me in the emergency room and luckily I didn't die from it and very well could have.There are some that are relativly safe but it is hard to know really.My boyfriend died and I have had a really hard time with panic since.I am doing better now that I tried a breathing technique.I am not cured of course but I am not calling an ambulance anymore.I have a long history of panic disorder that started when I was 18 and I am now 36 and the thing that has helped me the best is breathing techniques.It takes time to learn and get used to it but it works.Also,if you have a family practice doctor that can see you once a week or maybe once a month to tell you you are fine,that you are not dying and that your heart is fine,that helps too.For the breathjing you need to be in a quiet room,not dark though,you might panic.Like I said it takes getting used to but works.Take a deep breath through your nose,if after a second you feel like you took too much let a little out,concentrate on relaxing your muscles whatever muscles you feel need relaxed while holding your breath, hold it until you can't anymore,then slowly let it out through your mouth.Breathe normaly(hard to do)for a few breaths then do it again.Three times is the least you should do it.You will feel your fingers warm up and you will calm down.Like I said,it is hard to do at first.I had problems at first,but don't give up.it works.

Your fear of side effects is normal. Luckily, if you don't like how you feel you can stop taking that particular med and try something else until it fits. You won't do damage to your body by trying medications short term. I would recommend trying the fluoxetine. If you don't like it then quit. On the other hand, it could make all the difference and make your life a lot happier.

Hang in there!

i too have experienced this and it sucks. i constantly felt as if i would die of a heart attack. and the thought of being 27 with a 9 year old son intensified my fear of death making my anxiety worse which in turn made my chest pains worse which only caused more panic attacks . pretty much a never ending cycle resulting in many trips to the e.r. and tens of thousands of dollars(after insurance coverage) of bills that i cannot afford to pay. i dont know how bad your anxiety problem is in comparison to my own but if its close to mine then im sorry and good luck. i suffer everyday and the people around me just say deal with it or its all in your head and my reply is always "no sh*t really?" in a sarcastic tone. its hard to find people that are sympathetic to this illness unless they to suffer from it. one thing i have found to be helpfull is some form of meditation. pot sometimes helps me and sometimes makes it worse. but the #1 thing that ive found that helps to calm this 1 demon of a disorder is to surround yourself with loving, caring, understanding individuals that will show you sympathy (not pity) for your illness. it also helps when you receive commendation for your efforts and encouragement. good luck to you.

This is common having chest pain with anxiety. I used meds for a little while, but found that the side effects were horrible and are not a long term solution due to possible dependency.

I was able to use vitamin b12 and used the PanicAway natural method and that has pretty much totally cured my anxiety and I think the techniques could definitely help you defeat your chest pain.

Very true!

i started having panic attacks 3 years ago and ive had some horrible ones the thing that has helped me is to realize what is happening the attack starts you feel lightheaded, chest pains scared, shaky, short of breath rapid heart beat but if you realize it you can just accept it and let it run its course it will go away in about two minutes it peaks then starts to go away but if the symptoms start and you say to yourself omg im gonna die it gets about ten times worse just breath i have gone through this for the last three years every single day of my life, no one will ever understand what we go through unless its someone that has felt it. the best thing is to breath deeply and say to yourself it will pass it always does

The exact same thing has been happening to me for the last month, ever since a very intense and traumatizing LSD trip, the trip went very wrong after I began to experiance terrible chest pains. After two weeks the chest pains were less frequent, although the anxiety still remains. Are the chest contractions mentioned in an earlier post damaging?

I recently just had my first anxiety attack last week. I honestly thought it was a heart attack when it first hit. :-( however, the pain occured on the right side of my chest and i got lightheaded and sweaty and i would get very cold. i went a couple days without seeing a doctor about it but thankfully i went to the doctor friday and talked to him about it. he told me it was anxiety and he prescribed me to Lexapro, a pill I take once a day. Now it has been over a week and I have less chest pain each day that goes by. I'm pretty sure that if I wouldn't have gone to the doctor that it would have gotten worse and I would be more and more nervous about it as the days go by. Sometimes, I do get sharp pains in my chest out of nowhere, but nothing compared to last week. I hope that the medication continues to help me. But anyways, I hope this helps.

Hi, I just started taking klonipin...It's helping me alot,i used too suffer freom terrible chect pains.My heart would fluttrt,you could see it pounding through my shirt...>Actyally i have had anxiety and depression for many years. So i kow what you mean about chest pains.Plus i got the fear im dying some type of dreaded death/disease. [how many milligreams do you take,im just taking one mg.I want to get upped to 2 mgs. I M sacred to ask for more.I was also an addict so you can't go tell your doctor that.I been on opiates/oipoids for 18 years....{ dilaudud,methadone hydrocodone and oxy.Also was a cocke head and methamphetamine junky,not to mention tuns of lsd.I think that is what i got the panic disorder,i had a very bad trip...>>

TAKE IT EASY
- BYRON -

I too have been having chest pains whith anxiety. I find it difficult to breath and wonder if I have asthma. I thought I was going to have a heat attack and went to the emergency room. I had tests on my heart and it was fine.

to Byron: I actually got off of Lexapro at the end of March, and didn't go back to the Doctor like I was supposed to when I finished the pills because I felt better and didn't feel as if I needed to go back. Bad decision. I recently had another anxiety attack, but smaller, and it wouldn't go away, so I went back to the Doctor last Friday. He put me back on Lexapro, and the amount i'm taking is 10mg of it. I'm on day 3 today and it's helping me, but I feel so drowsy from it this time and I get small pains at times in my chest and lightheaded but my heart rate is a lot slower now that i'm on it, which is great. So Lexapro definitely does help. anything else you want to know, i'd be glad to reply.

-cls09