Hi, this is a big step for me because I am absoloutly petrified of doctors, lately, I have been getting rapid heart rates, one night, I was asleep, woke up real fast sat up took a deep breath and had a irregular pounding heart rate that lasted a while. Scared me so much. But, it doesn't happen very often. Now, I have developed anxiety, I may have had it before hand to, that may have caused it. Its bad anxiety, I am scared to go to work fearing that it will happen again, scared to take the stairs, use hills, go very far from home, scared to go to work, I actually dread it, even getting up going to the restroom and showering is a big deal for me now. and I know you will ask about the stress level in my life...well, now its pretty high, I was living in Missouri, and didn't feel like this, but, when I moved to California, it seemed to shoot through the roof, high bills, high rent, lack of jobs, fear of failing, I miss MO so much, but, my sister that I live with doesn't want to go back, I take care of her because she is disabled, only disablility she has is that she can't talk. Im just scared all the time. And when I have the panic attacks, I get clammy, nervous, shakey, no chest pain (thank goodness). But, I have always been a keyed up person, I lost alot of family along the way. Im just so sick of feeling like this. I feel tired, I don't eat well, I don't exercise. Sounds like I need to check into a psychiatrist. Please, any help?

yeah as with you i have anxiety problems too.. also a semi phobia of doctors also.. but the best way to deal with it that i found is breathing exersises and cut out the caffine.. caffine is really bad in my case makes me shake at times and think that im dieing... but also i would recomend a therapaist there much less frighting than doctor.. in my opinon good luck

I also have anxiety and suffer from those exact things. It helps to know that you are not the only one out there. I too have had a lot of changes in my life within the last year and let me tell you it has been the longest year ever and i'm only 20. I just found out I was pregnant, got married a couple months ago and they took me off of my fast acting anxiety medicine that I had been on for a year. I too am scared to go to work, it is very hard for me to keep a job becuase I am so scared something will happen to me. Just know that you aren't alone and that everything will be okay. I know your thoughts always take a wrong turn but they will correct themselves soon. Its just an obstacle in life that some of us face.

you are having panic attacks...the very same things used to happen to me but the good news is they make lots of very effective medication for this condition that can turn your life around. My situation sounds very similar to yours. When I was 22 I graduated from college and got a really high-stress job. I stopped exercising and eating right and even though I realized that I felt bad I refused to do anything about it because I was "petrified" of doctors like you say you are. Finally one day at work the phone rang (which I dreaded, my job was to fend off angry insurance agents and I spent all day trying to avoid picking my line up) and I felt like someone had hit me in the chest with a medicine ball. My heart went berserk, I could only take shallow, useless breaths, and I put my head down on the desk and started shaking. It was so bad I actually went to the doctor, and although I was misdiagnosed a couple of times I have to say that going to the doctor is the only cure for your "white coat syndrome". since then I met my husband and had a baby, and after all the poking and prodding that involved I am no longer nervous about seeing the doctor (irritated yes, but not nervous). Also, I have been on several different anti-depressants, which they use to treat anxiety, and from the symptoms you are describing I think Paxil would be a good bet for you. It helped me so fast (within a week I felt better than I had felt in years) and so well that I was eventually able to come off meds completely. I still have the occassional panic attack, but I have learned they are usually the result of something I did (too much caffeine for one, and I'm wondering if the vitamins I've been taking are making me a little nervous). So I would recommend you see a doctor, I know how this sounds but if you don't see one one your own terms you will end up the ER having a panic attack and even though you may feel like you are dying, they will take their time in treating you because in the 3 non-consecutive times I've been in that situation I've discovered that the ER personnel do not have a lot of empathy for anxiety sufferers, I guess they feel we're encroaching on the real emergencies. Just remember that there are lots of ways to treat panic and anxiety and that doctors are there to help you, in fact if you're like me your "doctor fear" is actually part of the condition and will get better if your anxiety is treated. Good luck