Good day there.

Yesterday I was talking with my brother and he told me that his friend from the childhood had stroke a couple of days ago. He is in the hospital now, doctor are skeptical about his recovery process because stroke was really strong. We were sitting in front of the hospital and we were wondering what anyone could do to prevent this, to see that this is going to happen to him? I am always wondering are there any tips on how to detect warning signs of a stroke? Do you know? If you do, tell me please. 

Hi Z,

High blood pressure is a common cause of a stroke but there are other types.  Some are due to clots and others are due to a bleed. 

Often there are no signs before a stroke occurs.  A simple way to test to see if a stroke has occurred is the FAST test from the American Heart Association.

F - Face drooping.  Is one side of the face drooped or numb?  Have the person smile.

A - Arm Weakness.  Is one are weak or numb?  Have the person hold both arms out straight.  Does one droop?

S - Speech difficulty.  Is their speech slurred, hard to understand, or can they not speak at all?  Have them repeat a simple sentence such as "the sky is blue." 

T - Time.  If anyone has any of the above symptoms IMMEDIATELY seek emergency medical attention.  The sooner treatment starts the less damage done.

Hey Big Z,

I don't think that you can really do anything in order to prevent a stroke, once you see that it is about to happen or that is starting to happen, all you can do is take the person to the hospital as fast as you can so he can get the medical care that he needs fast enough to avoid any further damage. As you already know, strokes are very dangerous and a lot of cases end up with the death of a person who is having a stroke, so taking this person to the hospital as fast as possible is the key to his survival.

Hey everyone,

I think that Medic Dan is right, that it is definitely the best test out there (let's call it a test) for determining if a person is having a stroke or not. We actually had some people from the hospital coming to our class when we were in high school, telling us about this F.A.S.T. test.

So I believe that Medic Dan is totally right, if you see that a person cannot control his or her one side of the face, you know what is happening, and you need to take that person to the hospital as fast as possible.

Hey Big Z,

I believe that they have gave you all the info that you need about detecting warning signs of a stroke, there is no better way of noticing it happening other than this FAST test, I know this since long time ago.

Like they already told you, the most important part after realizing that a person is having a heart attack is to take him to the hospital as fast as you can, you might even do it faster than the ambulance, and you have little time to make the decision. Every minute counts, and a minute can decide between life and death.

Hey Big Z,

The people above me explained this in a better way than I would ever be able to explain it.

One good side of a stroke is that it is way easier to detect than a heart attack, although a heart attack can do less damage than a stroke can. Like the Medic Dan wrote, if a person is having face numbness, or he can't lift his both hands in the air, and he can't talk properly and he could just moments ago, then he is probably having a stroke and he needs to be taken to the hospital as fast as possible.

Good day there everyone. I know that you can have a so – called silent stroke. I think that this is the first and most important sign of a bigger stroke that can be very serious.
But here are some general warning signs.
For example, you can feel numbness or weakens in your face or your legs, especially on one specific side. Also, you can feel the confusion or trouble to understand the people while you are talking to them. You have some troubles while you are talking and you also can’t see that well on one or even both of your eyes. Dizziness also can be a sing, just like a headache.

Hello there.
I have to confess that this is something that I hear for the first time. Fast - I think that I will remember that because it makes a sense. We went to see his friend today. He told us that he is feeling fine, but he doesn't look ok. I asked him did he had any symptoms and he told us that he had this arm weakness as well, just like you have mentioned but he also told us that this is nit the first time that he had it. So is that means when you are having some weakness or numbness in your arms, you should call your doctor? Thank you.

Hey there.

It is sad because a lot of us won't recognize that they are having some heart issues symptoms and sings. First me - when I had those symptoms I never went to see my doctor even if I knew that this could be heart problems. Anyway, yes there are a options that can help you detect warring signs of a stroke. Numbness and weakness in arms are just one of the symptoms that we all should pay attention at. Also, if you have problems with sight and if you can't talk, that also could be related with heart.