Good day everyone. My friends keep telling me that I am crazy because I am always extremely worried for my health. Sometimes I was right about it, but sometimes I wasn't. Now, lately I am swelling while I am sleeping and I woke up always. After that, my heart starts to beat really hard and skip as well. After that, I can't even sleep because I am really scared that something is going happen to me. I was reading something on the internet and I find out that those could be signs of silent ischemia. What the silent ischemia really is and what are the warning signs and symptoms? 

Sometimes I think that when it comes to our health, you are never scared as you should be. For how long this happening to you? And why you haven’t see your doctor about this? And I am sure that you are sweating, not swelling. It is visible that you are having some problem with your health and you need to find out the cause. It can be caused by silent ischemia but also it can be something else. Signs and symptoms of silent ischemia are:

• shortness of breath,
  • fast heartbeat,
  • neck pain,
  • jaw pain,
  • nausea,
  • vomiting,
  • sweating,
  • fatigue.

You need to see your doctor. 

Hi Guest,

I'll have to agree with La Yi La on this one, you really need to see your doctor. Whenever you notice some of the symptoms that you usually don't have and which could mean that you have any sort of disease or disorder, it is time to visit a doctor and not to search for answers on the internet because they can't be 100% accurate. You need to have a proper examination done by a doctor. Only then can he tell you what exactly is your problem and how are you going to treat it. Better do as we recommended.

Those are indeed the symptoms of silent ischemia, the ones that La Yi La wrote above, but I'm interested to know why exactly did you think that you are having silent ischemia, have you talked to someone about this already, and they told you that it might be silent ischemia?

In most of the cases, silent ischemia actually has absolutely no signs and symptoms and people usually don't even know that they are having it until they find out by mistake doing some other tests for some other things. I think that you have something that maybe differs from silent ischemia.

Hi everyone,

Look Lilly, silent ischemia has no symptoms, although researchers have found that if you have episodes of noticeable chest pain, you may also have episodes of silent ischemia.

The following tests can be used to diagnose silent ischemia:

• An exercise stress test can show blood flow through your coronary arteries in response to exercise.   
  • Holter monitoring records your heart rate and rhythm over a 24-hour period (or longer) so doctors can see if you have had episodes of silent ischemia.

Treatment for ischemia is similar to that for any form of cardiovascular disease and usually begins with the following lifestyle changes:

• If you smoke, quit.
  • Control high blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes.
  • Limit how much alcohol you drink.
  • Adopt healthy eating habits.
  • Start an exercise program that has been approved by your doctor.

Hello there. So it is obvious that I have all those signs, right? I contacted my doctor yesterday, and you know what he told me? He told me that I am a bit scared (because he knows all problems in my life) and he told me that he believes that this is caused by the stress. Well, maybe it is, but now I am having this sharp pain in my chest and I don't know how to behave in this situation. I don't think that this is something that I should forget or pretend that everything is wrong with me. Should I insist on this test?

I didn’t know almost nothing about silent ischemia until a friend of mine started to have some weird symptoms. But those symptoms were not that weird as she was telling us, they were ordinary and minimal symptoms. Some of those symptoms she was not recognized at the first place. But just like when you are having a heart attack, the blood that flows to a section of the heart is temporarily blocked and it can make a damage to the heart muscles. So basically those warning signs are the same - heart is beating really fast, you have some discomfort while you are breathing, etc...You need to notice it.