Good day everyone. So my friend and his wife came back from the Bahamas yesterday. They planned to be there for 20 days but they returned a bit faster because she got sick and they needed to visit their doctor immediately. He called me today and he told me that they are suspecting that she has Atrial Myxoma. I don't know exactly what this is and I would like to know. For example, what are the signs and symptoms of atrial myxoma? What is the best way to recognize those symptoms, because I do believe that there are some warring signs? 

Good day there.

I am extremely sorry to hear this. I hope that everything is going to be OK with your friend and his wife. Symptoms of right - sided heart failure are usually the next, and it is very important to pay attention to them because atrial myxomia is not an easy and safe diagnose.

Symptoms are:

• Patients can experience a fatigue and also a peripheral edema.

• Abdominal distension due to ascites is rare; however, it is more common in slowly growing right-sided tumors.

• Having a dizziness is also one of the symptoms.

• chest pain and vision loss are common as well.

Hello Guest. Thank you. I am pretty sure that she was complaining about chest pain and dizziness a few months ago, but it turns out that she was pregnant. I don't want to tell you what happened to her baby and they are still recovering from it. She was really weak. Sometimes, after she lost her baby she started to have chest pain, but she didn't pay attention to it. Now it seems that it is more dangerous than we all could guess. About the treatment, what is the best way? Medicines, surgery or something third? Tnx a lot. 

Hey Big Z,

Atrial myxomas are the most common primary heart tumors. Because of nonspecific symptoms, early diagnosis may be a challenge.

Symptoms may occur at any time, but most often they go along with a change in body position. Symptoms of a myxoma may include breathing difficulty when lying flat, breathing difficulty when asleep, chest pain or tightness, dizziness, fainting, sensation of feeling your heart beat (palpitations), and shortness of breath with activity.

The symptoms and signs of left atrial myxomas often mimic mitral stenosis. Right atrial myxomas rarely produce symptoms until they have grown to be at least 5 inches wide.

Well, surgery is needed to remove the tumor. Since this is a tumor, you understand that no medications can help her. Some people will also need the mitral valve replaced. This can be done during the same surgery.

Myxomas may come back if surgery does not remove all of the tumor cells but the good thing is that this atrial myxoma is usually benign and not dangerous at all. It might be a bit harder to diagnose, that's true, but the treatment isn't dangerous and it basically always goes as planned. Even if the tumor comes back, the same type of surgery can be done again.

Yeah, surgery is the only option here. My friend was diagnosed with atrial myxoma and he had to undergo this surgery. I was a bit scared for him even though he had explained to me before that this is nothing dangerous. Anyway, his surgery went out as planned and he is okay today, his tumor never came back.

It didn't even take him a lot to recover from this. I might be wrong about this one, but I think that it took him less than a month to recover, but he is a sportsman so this might have helped him recover faster.

Myxoma is not cancer, that is true, but complications are common.

Untreated, a myxoma can lead to an embolism (tumor cells breaking off and traveling in the bloodstream). This can lead to a blockage of blood flow or cause the tumor to grow in another part of the body. Pieces of the tumor can move to the brain, eye, or limbs.

If the tumor grows inside the heart, it can block blood flow. This may require emergency surgery to prevent sudden death. This is why it gets important to diagnose this on time which is sometimes hard, I'm glad that that woman is going to be treated on time.

I was reading a lot about atrial myxoma these days. And I saw this topic so I have decided to write a post according to what I was reading. I found out something that I didn’t know, that myxomas are the most common type of cardiac tumors in all age groups accounting for one-third to one-half of cases at postmortem and for about three quarter of tumors treated surgically. Most atrial myxomas, whether left or right, arise from the atrial septum. So this means that this can be very serious. And I am reading about the symptoms, they are pretty similar like in some other issues.