Good day there. So I was at the country visiting my grandpa and grandma.They live in the country when I was growing up and I really love to go back there whenever I can. So, my mom and dad started to discus something about some heart problems, because my grandpa has a lot of them lately, and he is not that old (he is 70 years old). They were talking about heart attacks and they were talking how different sings are in women and men. Is this true? How to recognize early warning signs of a stroke in men? Tnx a lot. 

Hello Carl.

It is pretty much the same, but it is still the different. Look, stroke is marked by an inability to speak, a strained expression, and confusion. Also, a stroke victim may have trouble talking or understanding conversation. Some of the symptoms related to brain disruption include:

• dizziness
  • loss of coordination or balance
  • headache that comes on out of nowhere.

Those also can be a signs of the stroke in men. But also, here are some other symptoms in men as well: sudden confusion, sudden trouble sleeping, you have trouble while you are walking, you have some dizziness. Those are all possible symptoms and if your grandpa has any of them, it is important to see his doctor. 

Hey there. Well, what worries me the most is that my grandpa won't even tell when he is feeling sick and sometimes, when he changes his facial expression I can see that something is not OK with him. Just once he told me that he is having some chest pain and that this makes him breathless, but according to him, just once. I don't know can I trust him or not, but like I already told you he lives in the country and you can't see a doctor there very often. I don't know should I bring some doctor from the city to check him up? Any advice?

Hey Carl,

First of all, heart attack and stroke are two quite different things, and stroke is a lot more dangerous. A lot of people actually think that these are the same but they aren't really.

It is never bad to get a doctor to check up on your older ones. Especially if they don't like going to the doctor and if there are any reasons for you to think that there is something wrong with their health.

The Big Z gave you a good explanation regarding the symptoms of a stroke, you should tell these to your grandpa so that he knows if it happens.

Noticing a stroke on time and calling an ambulance is the most important part of saving someone's life. It all comes down to time once you see someone is having a stroke.

You really need to talk to you grandpa about this if you think that he might be prone to having a stroke. Since he is far from any doctor or a hospital, I'm afraid that if he happens to have a stroke, the odds for him to survive it, regarding his age as well, are quite small, I won't say none. Maybe he should move somewhere close to the hospital.

Hi Carl,

Have you considered putting your grandpa in a nursing home? I understand that this might be hard but if he is really prone to having a stroke (you should really take him to a hospital to get him examined), he won't stand a chance if a stroke occurs.

Nursing homes have a bad reputation in some places, but they aren't generally bad. You can certainly find a good nursing home for your grandpa if you search a bit. I mean, it might be a bit more expensive if you want to put him in a good one, but it should be worth it.

I'll agree with Guest on this one, nursing home might be a good idea. If you are not up for it or if you can't convince your grandpa to go there, maybe he could come and live with you guys if he agrees and if you don't think that he is going to be in the way. Your parents kind of owe him to take care of him now that he is old, especially if he is prone to having a stroke and he is living that far from any hospital. The threat is real here, if he happens to have a stroke, you are going to lose him...