I have been on heroin for almost a year and I had enough of it! I have tried to get off several times, but with no success. I split with my girlfriend because of this problem and the only one left helping and supporting me are my parents. Even though we fight sometimes because of my condition, I still respect their efforts. Has anyone been on an effective heroin treatment?

Hi, I am a former addict. I have used heroin for almost two years but I somehow managed to survive the withdrawal effects. I work in a rehabilitation clinic now, helping those who want to get off drugs. You have to fight, your will to overcome this problem must be stronger then craving for drugs. This is much easier under the surveillance of doctors. They will help you with medicaments used to change heroin, like methadone. Of course, psychological therapies are the base of treatment, especially for long term addicts.