Hello! My father has been diagnosed a diabetes myopia. I have never heard of something like that. I thought that causes for myopia was heredity and close work on computer or microscope for example. My father’s doctor checked his blood sugar levels, prescribed medicines for his diabetes and didn’t recommended glasses. What are your experiences with diabetes myopia?

Hello! Myopia usually develops in children from 8 to 14. The risk of developing myopia is increased with family history and prolonged close-up work, such as reading or sitting close to the television or computer, although there is little scientific evidence for this. In uncontrolled diabetes, myopia may occur suddenly and then change from day to day just as blood sugar levels. For example, myopia may be the first sign of type-2 diabetes and it usually clears up when the cause is treated.

Hyperphacosorbitomyopicosis is edema of the crystalline lens in the eye commonly resulting in a myopia, or near-sightedness. This edema is caused by the accumulation of sorbitol, a sugar alcohol.[1] This may occur when blood glucose levels are above normal, such as in diabetes mellitus.