I have Type 1 diabetes and I’m thinking about taking up cycling. I’m insulin dependent. I usually don’t have much difficulties but I’m worried because I don’t know whether my body would be able to endure such a demanding activity. Can you tell me how to plan my training in order to minimize risks for my health? Should I practice such an activity at all?

Hello there! Not only cycling isn’t dangerous for your health, but it can also improve your condition concerning diabetes. You actually should practice a certain physical activity because your body will benefit greatly from it. Cycling is excellent. The most important thing that you should do is measure your sugar levels very often during your ride. You should perhaps make stops at every 20 miles. Since you’re a newbie, you can start exercising gradually. For example, don’t ride more than 10 miles at the first few weeks, and after that if you feel that you’re capable of more, increase the length of your route. Always carry something with quick sugar in case your sugar drops. I also recommend energy gels.