I am 29 year old female. I had kidney stones more than 2 years ago and in August I started having problems again. I passed one stone that was more than 5 mm. The lab tested it and said it was made entirely of protein and therefor was not consistent with kidney stones. I had the symptoms of cystinuria, but after a 24 hour urine collection, an IVP and a cystoscopy by a urologist, my Dr says they can't find a cause. My urethra and flank pain have continued and almost every time I urinate there are several small objects that look like grains of sand. (Sometimes black, sometimes reddish, sometimes both)
I am at a loss as to what to do and the consistent pain is really wearing me down. Has anyone dealt with anything similar or have any advice? I have a high quality picture of my 5mm stone, could that help with diagnosis?
Thanks!

I am the same age as you are, and have been having problems with kidney stones since I was 18. Although I do not think we have the same type of stone, I think that the material that you say looks like sand, are pieces of the stone. After I have had lithrotripsy, that it what it looks like. I have also found, that not all doctors have the answer. I think some don't even really care. I would try to get another opinion. I have been dealing with this for more than 10 years, and I have only met one GREAT doctor. Good luck, and don't be too discouraged.

Hello guest,

If your have crystals or sand in the urine, it is parts of kidney stones.

Because kidney stones are made of different materials, doctors may don't have seen this type of stone yet.

It's simple, if you feel that the urine flow is blocked in one of your kidneys or if you feel like a bruise in the lower back it may be stones.

I advise you to treat them quick in order to reduce their size so they can evacuate without damaging your organism.

You can reduce their size by making a natural cure to dissolve your stones (it's like juice fasting but with specific plants and food) or if your stones are too big, lithotrity may hrlp. Ask your specialist for that.

A natural cure worked well for me. hope it helps.

I have had some pain in my side everyday for the last 6 months after i supposively passed a kidney stone. The pain is there all the time its just a 1 on a 1 to 10 scale, but is always there. You have to get a doctor that really cares. i just ordered some theralith xr to see if that will help, per my doctor, so we will see.