My Fiance makes this noise in his throat at least 10-15 times per night, and once he starts it doesn't stop till I either wake him up or push him on his side. When it first started happening I thought he was clearing his throat, but the more I listen to it, he keeps his mouth shut and almost sounds like a snorty kind of swallow, like he is itching his throat by swallowing. When I tell him in the morning he has no idea what I am talking about. it's driving me nuts!!!!! I have had him take clartin and other allergy medicine's before going to bed to see if they help ( He has a ton of allergy's and asthma) but these do nothing but knock him out and make it even harder for me to make him stop! I am in bed for 8 hours everynight but only getting 3 hours of sleep!! I have no idea what to do, and when we went to the doctor and I mentioned it, my fiance couldn't even replicate the noise and I have no idea what he is doing to make this noise! it has become like nails on a chalkboard for me! Any advise or help would be appreciated!! GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

:-S my fianve does the same thing i hate it so doesnt my grandfather dr say lack of oxygen wen sleepong now he sleeps like a baby no luck for my fiance cannt afford oxyfen tank

With all your misspellings, abbreviations, and lack of punctuation, I knew exactly what you were talking about. Oh wait, no I didn't.

I am experiencing the same thing. My fiance complains that I make this noise constantly, but I have no idea that I am even doing it - I am asleep! I cannot recreate the noise for the doctor, so its impossible for me to describe the issue for them. Did you ever find a resolution?

I'm dealing with this exact same problem to a T! Please tell me you found something that helps...I'm so desperate.

Ive been dealing with the same thing for years. I dont really know why it happens. Although i kinda think its a mental thing. People have told me about it before and ive always calked it up to grinding my teath but after spending hours with my girlfriend trying to recreate the noise, it turns out i suck the back of my throat. Its hard to explain but its like i push my tongue against the roof of my mouth and suck in causing my  tongue to vibrant against the back of my throat. I'm really confused because i never make the sound when im awake nor have i ever heard anybody else do so. It only happens while im sleeping. I just started my search for a solution and found nothing so far...seems im a little late to this forum but hopefully someone has found an answer by now or atleast my small insight helps somebody.

I'm 22 now and I have been experiencing since a young age. Unlike a few comments I have read, I wake myself up doing this but as soon as I go back to sleep it will just keep happening, it doesn't happen every night as fair as I am aware but it certainly does wait me up in the night. It's got to the point now when I wake up I can taste blood, like the rest I can't recreate this when awake to explain and ask for help.

Same, this is exactly that happens to me specially when I take cold drinks at night

This has happened to me all my life and I've heard my brothers do it too. It finally clicked in for me one night when I heard my brother. This is how babies suck; it's this crazy powerful vacuum. It's like part of this primordial survival instinct stays alive in some of us.

Lol! That's hilarious, I was thinking the same thing!

It's perfectly normal. I can do it on command. It's a way of relieving an itchy throat. By contracting the muscles in the back of your throat in a unique way thats very hard to describe. It's really useful for my hayfever and for getting rid of tonsil stones. Not much can be done about it if he's only doing it in his sleep.

I'm doing that whole my life and it's getting worse as I'm growing older (37 now). It happens when I have runny nose and once doctor explained me that because I have nasal septum deviation so the liquid can't go out and it just returns back through the throat. And really if I look better it always itches left side of the throat as my left nostril is blocked.
I'm thinking about going to operate that hoping it will resolve that. But for example, my father and my sister have the deviation as well but they don't get throat irritated. So I'm not sure if that's the solution.

And just to add, this is not something that I do during the night only. If that itch happens during the day I have urge to do that and sometimes I do if I know nobody can hear me. Sometimes it's just, like someone explained, sucking noise. but usually I need to put my tongue to the back top of palate and make vibration that way which produces really bad sound. As people said, it sounds like really loud snoring or like my ex-flatmate told me - killing the pig sounds.

Wow good roast mate haha. Oh wait, you're a twat.

Consider the possibility of Obstructive Sleep Apnea, a condition my father had. He would snore (and it would sound like a motorcycle), and he would also get suboptimal sleep leading to some daytime sleepiness. His doc Rx'd a CPAP machine and it worked like magic. There are other options too - theres a retainer-like device that holds the back of the mouth open, or surgery if its really severe.
Your sanity aside, you should really get him to have this remedied as people with undiagnosed sleep apnea run the risk of developing right-sided heart failure (and then left-sided heart failure), or in rare cases, Eisenmenger syndrome.