I am in the process of writing a short article about schizophrenia and its causes. I would like to get your views about the causes of schizophrenia, which must be routed in childhood. Are abandoned kids more prone to schizophrenia? What is the relation between the two things? Please advise.

I have two children, who are both in their twenties now. My youngest, a daughter, is a school teacher, is very creative and very social. My oldest, a son, suffers from schizophrenia and has been in and out of mental health facilities since his late teens. I spent sop much time wondering what I had done wrong with him, but I have come to realize that this is simply how his brain is wired. Both my kids were brought up in the same way, and definitely not abandoned, so it is entirely possible to do things "by the book" and think you are setting your kids up with skills to be successful in life, and mental illness can still strike. Having been abandoned in childhood is sure to cause some issues, though!