I would like to make myself more familiar with different treatments for schizophrenia. I know that most people with schizophrenia are heavily drugged up, but I saw something about group therapy sessions for schizophrenia on a tv drama about a mental health clinic. So, is group therapy effective for schizophrenia?

In cases of serious schizophrenia, I find that therapy is more effective in a one on one setting. All those schizophrenics together can clash and cause a very chaotic and not therapeutic environment, and they could get into fights and real clashes, as well as inducing each others' schizophrenia. But that is just my view.

Hallo,
The fact is that schizophrenia usually first appears in a person during their late teens or throughout their twenties. There are several ways to treat schizophrenia but it is important to be consistent in the treatment methods. I know that treatment is usually a combination of therapies and medications. Group therapy is not a bad option but it needs to be done with the medication as well. There are far better results when there is a group therapy involved rather than just medication alone. When group therapy focuses on real-life plans, problems, and relationships the treatment is much better. So if you have any problems or someone close to you, suggest group therapy because it has good results.