Hello! I have a friend who has an autistic child. She was desperate when the doctors told her the diagnosis two years ago. Now, I can say she is very happy although her life is very difficult. We all like her son very much since he is so sweet little boy. Tomorrow is his birthday and I am thinking of buying him a dog but I am not sure if this would be appropriate present for him. Can autistic child take care of a dog?

Hello! I think that a dog is a great idea since the dog will bring more than joy into a boy’s life. But, there are few things you should know. I don’t know how severe the symptoms of autism in your boy are, but in any case he will most probably not be able to take care of him. Feeding, cleaning or such sort of activities will have to be performed by his parents. I think it would be wise to talk to them first. Also, it is possible to have a specially trained dog that will be beneficial for the boy’s further development.