Hello! My aunt has an autistic boy. He is ten now and I go sometimes and play with him. Sometimes he is in a good mood and being with him is very pleasant and I am sometimes very pleasantly surprised with his reactions. It seems like he knows much more than he shows. But, sometimes it seems like he doesn’t see me at all. I am thinking how he is going to look like when he grows up. Can autistic children grow up?

Hello! Of course, autistic children can grow up. Many of them will be able to work successfully in mainstream jobs and make friendships. Of course they will still have communication and social problems that will cause difficulties in many areas of their life. They will need encouragement and moral support in their struggle for an independent life. Many will be capable of employment in workshops under the supervision of managers trained in working with persons with disabilities. Autistic children need help to continue to continue to learn and to develop throughout their lives.

I am the legal guardian for my Autistic 20 year old nephew. He is the size of a ten year old boy and has the menal capacity of a 8 -9 year old. He looks completely like any other child, he is actually very handsome. He was in a group home because the mother could not deal and was placed in a group home. He was mistreated at the group home. I brought him into my home immediately. He was with me for 8 weeks. I work 55 hours a week with a teenage daughter. I could not afford the sitter for my nephew at 500.00 a week. So I chose to place him in a group home. It is a nice place with nice staff, however, he is active, likes to play and talk and he is one of the only people there that can speak, walk or understand anything. I have serched so many areas to find a safe healthy environment for him thru the week as he spends every weekend with us. Noy happening. Is ther no place for children with mental dissabilities to stay and work that are not a s severe as some. Is there no group home that will accept a child that can still have an active life??? Help if you have any advise.