I received my order of Yerba Mate capsules and the Yerba Mate Lemon Royale tea. I took a capsule (500mg) with breakfast and a capsule 1/2 hr before lunch. I brewed and drank a cup of the tea, it is aromic and surprisingly very good! Also, it said what it claims to do, suppress your appetite. After I took the first one in the morning, I had no appetite all morning. Usually, I start to "starve" by the time 11:30 am rolls around. I was hardly hungry at all at 11:30 am! Ate lunch at 12 pm and barely could finish 3 chicken strips from Wendy's :-D . It is now 4:30 pm, and I should be starving for dinner, but I am not! Also, the stuff has a very relaxing effect for me which is a good thing. I plan on drinking a cup of tea a day regularly as it also has vitamins, minerals and more antioxidents than green tea. As to weight loss and enhanced metabolism, I won't know anything till dh starts taking it regularly. He is the one that needs to lose more.

About the Metabozest EF which has yerba mate in it, my MIL is still waiting for her order. I will fill you all in on how that will work for her once she gets it and starts taking it!

:-)

I cannot believe this. Yesterday I drank 3 cups of the yerba tea and took two 500mg capsules of the pure yerba mate (one in am and one lunch time). I woke up this morning, and noticed my belly looked so much flatter than yesterday. When I went to curves, I immediately weighed myself, and was 2 lbs lighter than I was the day before I tried the yerba mate!!! This morning, I drank one cup of the yerba mate lemon royale tea before I went to curves. At curves, I went more than four times around the circuit, and STILL had energy to do more (I had to leave due to time constraints). Usually I peter out after 3 laps and quit. I couldn't believe it!!! My dh definitely will lose weight with this stuff!!!!

Legend
Hey Wannalose,

Regarding to Yerba or Paraguay tea ... Yerba is well known stimulant like coffee. For some people it's an alternative to coffee or tea. Did you have chance to read my research about Yerba??

Many other dietary supplements (such as Maggie Drozd spice pills or MetaSlim) contain yerba mate extracts. Anyway, yerba mate has been recognized as a stimulant not as a weight loss pill supplement?? So, I just doubt on its relation to weight loss. However, I'm glad to hear that you found the substitution for brytanl ;-)

Take care!

Pseud0

Yes, I read your research Pseudo. We will see how well it will work for my Dh, I will keep you posted. I was just surprised at how fast it worked for me. I probably took too much!!! But let me tell you this, it DOES suppress your appetite which will help those who over eat!!! And the extra energy did not leave me jittery, it left me relaxed which was so nice. :-)

Legend
Yep, it's possible, but use it carefully and do not overdose yourself ;-), because this could provoke some serious gastrointestinal disorders!

Take care, mate and good luck!

Pseud0

LOL!! don't want dh spending a lot of time in the bathroom!!

BTW, I found more info on Yerba at this link rain-tree.com/yerbamate.htm (I hope this link is allowed, it is only information)

Legend
Hi Wannalose,

Yeah, very useful information, indeed! As I said, yerba is very good antioxidant and moreover it’s an stimulant and it contains caffeine and theophylline, but not so much as coffee or black tea. Anyway, it suppress appetite and helps with weight loss. However, in Uruguay some researchers reported that yerba could cause cancer by havy drinkers.

Quote:

Heavy drinkers of mate in South America were documented with an increased risk of upper-aerodigestive tract cancers (a 1.6- to 4-fold increase for heavy drinkers). It was speculated that this risk was caused by the tannins in the leaf (mate contains 7-14% tannins) consumed at a high temperature. Despite several studies published in Uruguay reporting this increased cancer risk (and where some of the heaviest mate drinkers are found), it has done little to change the mate-drinking culture there. One interesting change was that more drinkers began adding milk to their mate - it was suggested that the milk would bind to the tannins in the brew, reduce the temperature, and mitigate much of their (possibly) negative effects.

My personal opinion is that coffee and tea cartels recognized in yerba mate possible danger for their markets and brought such test results (about cancer) into publicity.

Quote:

In addition to its standing as a popular beverage, yerba mate is used as a tonic, diuretic, and as a stimulant to reduce fatigue, suppress appetite, and aid gastric function in herbal medicine systems throughout South America. It also has been used as a depurative (to promote cleansing and excretion of waste). In Brazil, mate is said to stimulate the nervous and muscular systems and is used for digestive problems, renal colic, nerve pain, depression, fatigue, and obesity. A poultice of the leaves also is applied topically to anthrax skin ulcers (for which mate's tannin content - highly astringent - may be the reasoning behind this use).

Yerba mate also has a long history of use worldwide. In Europe it is used for weight loss, physical and mental fatigue, nervous depression, rheumatic pains, and psychogenic- and fatigue-related headaches. In Germany it has become popular as a weight-loss aid. Yerba mate is the subject of a German monograph which lists its approved uses for mental and physical fatigue. In France yerba mate is approved for the treatment of asthenia (weakness or lack of energy), as an aid in weight-loss programs, and as a diuretic. It also appears in the British Herbal Phamacopoeia (1996) and indicated for the treatment of fatigue, weight loss, and headaches. In the U.S., Dr. James Balch, M.D. recommends yerba mate for arthritis, headache, hemorrhoids, fluid retention, obesity, fatigue, stress, constipation, allergies, and hay fever, and states that it "cleanses the blood, tones the nervous system, re****s aging, stimulates the mind, controls the appetite, stimulates the production of cortisone, and is believed to enhance the healing powers of other herbs." Yerba mate now is cultivated in India, and the Indian Ayurvedic Phamacopoeia lists mate for the treatment of psychogenic headaches, nervous depression, fatigue, and rheumatic pains.

Looking at main plant chemicals, yerba mate (in prescribed doses) could be only a great antioxidant, stimulant, thermogenic and cholesterol-lowering diet supplement.

Quote:

The main plant chemicals found in yerba mate include: alpha-amyrin, alpha-terpineol, arachidic acid, beta-amyrin, butyric acid, caffeic acid, caffeine, 5-o-caffeoylquinic acid, calcium, carotene, chlorogenic acid, choline, chlorophyll, chrysanthemin, cyanidin-3-o-xylosyl-glucoside, cyanidin-3-glucoside, essential oil, eugenol, geraniol, geranyl acetone, guaiacin b, indole, inositol, ionone, iso-butyric acid, iso-capronic acid, iso-chlorogenic acid, iso-valeric acid, kaempferol, lauric acid, levulose, linalool, linoleic acid, matesaponins, neochlorogenic acid, nerolidol, nicotinic acid, nudicaucin c, octan-1-ol, octanoic acid, oleic acid, palmitic acid, palmitoleic acid, pyridoxine, quercetin, raffinose, safrole, stearic acid, tannins, theobromine, theophylline, trigonelline, and ursolic acid.

Wannalose, I'm just waiting to see how it performs in your diet, so I could give it a chance :)

Pseud0

One thing I like about this herbal plant is it is approved by the FDA. :D

That could be. Maybe if one drank BUCKETS of the stuff everyday? You are probably right about the possibility of false cancer info. As in anything, moderation is the key. Such as if one drinks a glass of red wine every day, it is good for you. But if you drink way too much wine (or alcohol), then you put your liver at risk for disease. Guess it "might" the same with the Yerba mate tea. I don't know. I just wonder if there is a risk associated with taking the capsules - like how much daily is safe. Well, I know for one thing, if one goes overboard with taking more than 3 capsules a day, one might be in the bathroom all night. Any how, I take a 500 mg capsule every other day, and I will drink a cup of the tea (lemon oil with stevia) every other day. I notice that one benefit of the 500 mg capsule for me is one hour after I take it, I need to go to the bathroom. That's a good thing, cause I am not real regular! And that's great that I can now "plan" my bathroom trips thanks to one yerba mate capsule!!! Any how, I like the fact that I get energy from it and I don't get that need to take an afternoon nap!

I am not really trying to lose any weight right now. But, on the other hand my dh needs to, badly. He has been taking a 500mg capsule (or two) every day since Monday. Since he's been taking it, he has been in a good mood and he has more energy during the day. Hopefully the mood enhancement benefit will stay, cause he gets crabby from the stress with his job. Any how, time will tell if it helps him drop weight!

Legend
Yeah, that's fine. Yerba is approved, but check if your yerba pills have FDA approval stamp on the bottle or package??

Anyway, I'm always skeptic regarding such weight loss products, but there's still chance to find good weight loss supplement and combining with right diet plan and physical activity this could make you feel better and get rid off excessive pounds.

Hope yerba will help you and your dh!

Take care!

Pseud0

There's tons of clinical research proving Yerba Mate's effectiveness for weight loss... you might want to do more research!