When are spikes considered ready to be replaced? My son wears his spikes only for xc meets and winter indoor track meets - changing the actual metal spikes for the season, of course. He's worn the ones he has maybe 10-12 times. He insists he needs new shoes. I'll buy them if they really need to be replaced, but not "just because" he's worn them for a season. Any real advice on evaluating the condition of the shoes would be very welcome.

I think his coach can help you out, without physically seeing the shoes I can't say if they're shot after a single season of use. My gut instinct and from the described usgae you list however tells me he just wants some new kicks. :)

You could always speak with his coach and have him check the spikes out for you and let you know if he thinks they should be replaced or not.

Thanks. I hope there's a way I can have his coach check the shoes without him knowing. High school kids aren't too big on mom showing up at all, let alone to talk to the coach! My guess is the shoes are fine. There's one spike left in each shoe that we can't get out because there's nothing left to grab, but I'm taking them to the shoe repair guy. I'm sure he'll be able to get them out. Paying him for that and buying replacement spikes will be a lot less than a brand new pair that's "just because."