First off, an introduction. I am 6'4, 245 lbs. I have been running off and on since 8th grade. I am 24 years old now. I ran cross country and track in high school, and back then i weighed between 190 to 210 lbs. My best high school times were: 5:54 for the mile, and 20:25 for the 5k. I am definately more of a rabbit than a turtle. I have been getting back into running lately, and I am trying to train for a half marathon. Id mostly just like to finish.

The longest i've ever run is 13 miles ( so i've done something similar before) but that was about 3 years ago ( i was 215lbs at the time). I have been running lately, and i run between 3 to 6 times a week depending on how my legs/body is feeling. This has been going on for about 12 weeks now. The most i've done since i've started back up is 6 miles. Most of my runs are 3-5 miles throughout the week. However, almost every time i go out, my legs feel like they're really tired. By the end of the run they are feeling more loose but they are definately tired when im done. I am guessing that this could be due to my weight ...

So here are a few questions: when working with increasing the tolerance and resiliance of your leg muscles should you
a) relax your runs more and do longer distances?
b) drink protein after each run?
c) make stretching an important part of your run before/after each run?
d) do hill repeats/fartleks/track sprints?
e) losing weight is the only thing thats gonna help you.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

If I had to say percentwise what the ticket to making your running easier, everything I've said above is probably 10% of what'll get you there. 90% of the answer to your questions is indeed dropping the pounds. I've been there myself at one point carrying 60 extra pounds and as I shedded those pounds, my running improved pound by pound beyond anything I expected. For me, every ten pounds translated into about 1-minute in a 5km. So if you figure where you're at and how much time you can slice off just by dropping pounds, that really is the ticket.
G'luck man and keep us posted on how it goes!!

Thanks for the info :)

As for the protein, I've recently gone vegetarian (about 2 weeks ago) so its more difficult to get high protein without some suppliments. I use the trader joe's whey protein and make shakes with kerns strawberry/banana juice (i've heard that its good to mix in carbs with the protein). Although the vegetarian thing is making the protein sources more difficult, it is nice because its helping me lose weight slowly, so this might not be as much of a struggle as it could be.

In case you're curious :) Im signed up for the San Francisco marathon to run the first half. It goes over the golden gate bridge (assuming that the terror level is below orange, haha)!