Hi. Friend of mine recently went on a barbecue with some relatives. Soon afterwards he started having fever, diarrhea and abdominal cramps. We took him to hospital where they took his blood and stool sample. When results came, doctor diagnosed him with Salmonella. He prescribed him ampicillin antibiotics. I’m just wondering if there is a chance that I could get it too, as I was in close contact with him??? Can salmonellosis be transferred from person to person or you can only get it by eating infected food??? Thanks

Salmonella live in the intestinal tracts of humans and other animals, including birds and therefore are transmitted to humans by eating foods contaminated with animal feces. If you did not eat that food than I see no reason for you getting it too. But, anyway, always be careful, wash your hair thoroughly, especially after touching animals, and, always hard cook all meats.