I often wonder about how conscious we are about the treatment of our pets. Pet lovers love having them around. However, many of them keep their pets tied up all day, sometimes in hot or cold weather, without stimulation from other animals, i.e. a second companion pet. Yes, a walk in the morning and evening is nice, but what's it really like for an animal to be tied up and alone all day, every day. I also see owners walking pets that are clearly stricken with arthritis, or some other affliction. I also see pet owners hang on to aged pets that are suffering in their old age. Is this loving our pets? I see so called loving pet owners who's dogs look at them with fear and trembling, with their tails tucked. Why is that? A controlled pet is a good pet, but a scared one. I see small children who are allowed to abuse pets, as adults watch and call it playing. These seem to be animal abuse issues that don't get addressed. Should we be more conscious of these "little" things that might qualify as abuse. Are pet owners getting their needs met at the expense of their pets? What do you think?

Hi DS: I have 6 pets - not including the husband!!! ;-) XD - 3 cats and 3 dogs. They are all rescue animals. What humans are capable of as far as their pets are concerned is beyond comprehension. I contribute monthly to a special rescue foundation that takes SEVERLY abused "pets" and makes them adoptable and they bascially save their lives. I have ALWAYS believed that anyone capable of doing what I have seen to an animal will not stop there! He/she will go further and eventually work on defensless children and partners! We have had some TERRIBLE abuse reports on the news here lately. Cats in the microwave, dogs dragged behind trucks, etc. It is usually teens or 20 year olds that seem to be the culprits (not saying all of them of course) but obviously there is a trend here. Of sadistic cruelty, that is bound to manifest itself into worse crimes. I think there should be MASSIVE consequences to animal abusers, they should have to go to jail, pay a fine, have NO chance EVER of owning an animal. And HAVE to work at some of these rescue societies and have to help the animals that they are guilty of hurting. Some people state "Why do you concentrate on animals instead of people?" the way I see it is this! If you can stop their behaviour before they hurt an animal, they are less likely to hurt a human in the future. I truly believe that Vet's should lower their costs for Euthinasia, Spaying and Neutering! Then there would be less of these poor animals at shelters and pounds. Did you know that here in Canada a Vet gets paid more to deliver a puppy than a OB/GYN gets to deliver a baby?!!!! That doesn't make sense does it? Perhaps our bond to animals is also why you and I are on here giving advice to humans!!! I think they are both related!!!

I think there's such a thing as caring too much for a pet. It worries me a little that people spend so much on pet care. Most pets are pretty happy with some petting, a nice yard, and some food. They don't need fancy equipment or expensive food or anything like that. I grew up with a different culture so I guess my perspective's a little different.

I have 2 labs and 2 cats. We don't go over board with them. They have a hugh yard to run in and a pond to take a dip. They stay in the garage with a doggy door to the yard in the summer, but they live in the house when it's cold. Our cats get no special treatment either. They both are strictly indoor cats, both spayed and vet checked on a regular basis. The only extra they have is a cat pole. Our animals are just that, animals. They are not the smartest creatures, but they do stay and sit when told. No special diets, no vitamins, just a big bag of food with no added anythings.
The only thing our animals get is love. Our animals thrive on our touch, and when we are done petting and loving on them, "enough" is the word they understand very well.
Pet owners don't need to provide all the little froo froo things to make their pets happy, all they want from us is our love and to know that dinner time is at 6.