I have recently become aware of how some makeup and cosmetics brands use animal testing in unspeakably cruel ways, and I was horrified as it was not something I had considered before (shame on me, I know). I'm determined to change now though and to no longer endorse cruelty to animals. I want to start by switching over to makeup brands that are definitely cruelty free. I need some help though. Which makeup brands are cruelty free and how good are they? I can still look good, right? Tips about day creams and things like that are also appreciated.

Thanks

Celebrity

Hey,

The good news is that there are plenty of cruelty-free makeup brands out there now that are also really good. You are going to want to explore these for yourself of course. Here are some brand names to help you get started with that:

• Credo Beauty
  • 100% Pure
  • BH Cosmetics
  • ILIA (also organic)
  • Lily Lolo
  • Kjaer Weis
  • Vapour
  • Pacifica

These cover a wide range of price ranges and styles, but they're far from the only brands out there on the market today! If you just Google, you'll find out which brands are organic, cruelty free, non-irritant, and so on.

Rosie

Thank you for starting this topic.

I should say that I am ashamed that I do not know the answer to this question. In this day and age, we ought to do better and I ought to do better! I will check out the brands that Rosie mentioned as I assume they will also be great for my sensitive skin in addition to contributing to a good cause.

I recently did find out that my favorite brands, which are all mainstream brands, still do use animal testing. If it doesn't have to be that way, if it is not s form of cruelty I have to personally participate in, I should stop.

Thanks again.

Celebrity
Hey PINK,

Don't blame yourself too much, as companies that do use animal testing hardly advertise themselves as such! However, now that you know what goes into making the products that are meant to make you look beautiful (as opposed to, say, saving your life), I commend you for taking steps to move to a more natural approach to cosmetics and makeup that is friendlier to animals and the planet as a whole. You are right that these products will also usually be great for sensitive skin.

Rosie

Obviously, I am against cruelty against animals. I don't like it when people force makeup into rabbits' eyes by force just to make people look better. Or worse, come to that. But I do like to look good and have nice creams and things that keep my skin soft and hydrated. Eh, but I really don't want to be part of torturing animals. I am sure it happens sometimes that I have a product made with the unwilling help of some poor lab rat. But if I can help it, I say no to that kind of thing. Thank God we have computers now and can look stuff up online, so we know which products are made without cruelty to animals. I use Weleda products and just normal, every day oils such as jojoba.

Hey, can I ask a quick question? I've Googled cruelty free makeup and cosmetics brands before and there are entire blog posts with long lists of brands. That is encouraging, but I never come across any of these brands over the course of my normal physical shopping. Are these brands only available online or in specialist boutiques? If that is true, then why? Isn't it time that we just stop testing this stuff on animals? It's the 21st century. Surely we can do that? Chemical analyses should be able to do what animals did before? In the meantime though, is there some mainstream cruelty free brand that is in all the stores?

This is a very good question, and one I am also interested in. Because you mentioned it, I just did a search and did find a list that includes some of the brands I have heard of already, and have used before. These include BareMinerals (I didn't know and like this a lot), Dermalogica, Dr. Hauschka, Essence, Kat Von D, Lush, Manic Panic, NARS, NYX, Paul Mitchell, The Body Shop, Tom's Of Maine, Too Faced (very happy about that too), and Urban Decay. That gives us a whole lot more options than I was previously aware of, which is great news for everyone who would like to make the switch to cruelty free.

Those are some of the brands that I really like!

I am going to be honest here for a moment - I want to look good, and I want to be able to buy top end brands or at least brands that I really love, without having to look around for niche cosmetics and makeup that might be really bad.

At the same time though, of course if I know that some of the brands I do already use are not tested on animals, I am going to choose those over others which are indeed tested on animals. I am not surprised about Kat Von D. I saw a video where she talked about being vegan so this makes sense. I didn't know about any of these other brands though. That is really cool.