I am 33 and started running a bit more seriously over this past year. Last sunday I ran my first 1/2 (ING MIAMI) with a friend of mine. I did it in a snail's pace of 2hr 11m according to the chip and averaged a 10m2s mile. I am a bit dissapointed, but its my own fault. Well, I am hooked on this 1/2 marathon thing and now I want to figure out how to start cutting my time! My goal for the next 1/2 marathon is 1hr 45 min to 2 hr max!

Is this possible? My running has been 2-3 days a week. Tues & Thurs were short runs 3-6 miles and my Sat were 6-12 mile runs. The other days I spend in the gym. So, for a 33 yr old male that is about 200lbs and 6'1" i don't consider myself fat, but I have never had a body fat% test done. I am just a bit unsure on the best way to train for this to improve my speed & endurance without sacraficing strength.

Is it possible to run two halves in less than a month? Yes. Being these are the first two you will have run, I would say dropping from 2:11 to 1:45 is ambitious.

I would stay the course to get you through. After a fair recovery (give yourself at least a few days without running), you should spice up your training. Add a speed workout per week. Something as simple as a interval workout (alternating 1-2 minutes very high intensity with 2-4 minutes low intensity over a few miles) will do wonders, but give it time. You should not expect large results quickly. That will only frustrate you, and frustration will not help you reach your goal.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I think I should probably just goal for a 5 -10 min improvement, which is more reasonable.