I developed some kind of sore underneath my tongue over the weekend from my tongue rubbing against my bottom teeth. It persisted a couple days but never felt any better. I examined it to find two nubs that looked like they had previously been connected had split apart. It was part of one of those two ridges you see on left and right side underneath your tongue. I played with a bit and was actually able to pull at each nub (bad idea) and they stretched a bit. Currently one nub is painless but the other is red and extremely sensitive. Is there anything I can do to ease the pain? It hurts when food gets under there. Anyone who needs me to clarify just ask. I typed this up in a hurry.

You can try with xylocaine oral gel. It is used for pain management and really works. Xylocain is local anesthetic and helps relive tenderness and painful sensations on gingival and oral mucosa. I used it for several times when had tooth extraction so had bad ache and big wound. I think that it should not be applied on bleeding and opened wounds because of absorption; it should not be absorbed but only used topically. It is called xylocaine gel but contains msm that is analgesic. It can not harm you, you can manage the pain that way, but I guess that you should visit your dentist soon.

I am also having this problem just a few days ago. It hurts so bad now and i can see some white stuff surrounding the nub. Anyone know what this is and how to cure this?

Ok im 14 and im having the same problem about 2 days ago underneath my tongue started kinda buring or hurting and when i looked under it today there was nub like projections on my sublingual fringe and they have white stuff on the ends of them i really need someone to tell me what this is cause im getting scared that its cancer like im about to start crying please someone tell me what this is

I noticed the same problem. Did any of you consult a professional? Did it go away on its own? How long? etc. Thanks.

Anyone have a clue what this is? It's the tiniest thing kinda hanging from the tongue. Like a spec ... but its a little sore there. Nothing really painful at all. Just feels likes its been bruised somehow.

I have the same issue. This is the third time this has happened to me and on the second time I went to an ENT doc and he told it was most probably due to stress. He did a biopsy of the tissue and it came back negative for any type of cancer. The wierd thing is that the first two times it happened on the same side of those little vien like things that run underneath my tongue and now it is on the other side this time.

This thing is very painful and there is a little flap of skin that is protrudes out. I also notice some white stuff that seems to rub away from it. It is very red and painful. I'm not so sure it is related to stress, I almost wonder if it isn't viral or something. If someone finds any other information out I would like to hear from you as well.

The official second diagnosis for me when I went to the ENT was an abthous ulcer.

I had the same issue, it came on quick under my tongue. It was painful, hard and white on one side. I decided to apply pressure to it. IThe hard white matter came out of the vein and now I have no more pain or irritation.

I too just had two things coming off the bottom of my tongue that I took care of myself. One was red and painful, the other was fine and the same color as my tongue. I tried pinching and tearing at the red one, but it only hurt more, so I stuck my tongue out and dragged it back in such a way that the red nub got stuck between two bottom teeth and it was squeezed open. It now feels a little raw when I move my tongue a lot, but the real pain went away almost instantly.

That sounds like it was very painful! I had something like that but it was just a cold sore and went away in about a day or two. DO you think that's what you could ahve too?

I too had this problem...was on holidays and drinking...thot it was from the alcohol...so stopped drinkin.

Later..talked to a friend about it....it turns out it may have been from the drinking....but not the alcohol but the aluminum in the can...since then if i drink from any aluminum can can feel a tingle in tongue...this only seems to happen when lips contact the can...a canned beverage poured into a glass seems to be ok or even drinking thru a straw. It works for me

This happened to me also but was accompanied by a redness all over in my mouth. I rinsed my mouth for several days...several times a day with tea tree mouth wash and it went away. I have the painful spot (only) back underneath my tongue...after 6 weeks of being gone. I am going to try the tea tree mouthwash again.

I get this every couple weeks. I bring it on myself, though.... from licking things for long periods of time ;-) Its just from the constant rubbing on the top of the bottom teeth.
It goes away on its own, but its best to just give your tongue a break and deal with it for a couple days. Tugging or picking at it is only asking to make the problem much bigger and more painful.

I had this after 3 weeks of late nights and a lot of drinking. On recommendation of someone here I pinched it quite hard which hurt, then the pain went away. 10 mins later it came back so I pinched it again but everytime the piece of flesh felt smaller. I went to sleep and today it's pain free!!

Okay, I have the sore spikey nubs under the tongue too. It's happened since I started using the Oral B Pulsar tooth brush... Anyone else use that toothbrush? I'm going to switch back to a normal brush and see what happens.