It looks like what seemed as a minor knee injury turned out to be a really serious problem. I have hurt my knee almost three months ago but did not go to a doctor because there was no pain, only a light discomfort. Couple of days ago pain came and I went to a doctor who said there is a great possibility of meniscus being damaged and that arthroscopy surgery for removing those meniscus could be one of the options. Is that really true?

Well, if he mentioned removing meniscus, it is true that your knee is in a truly bad shape. Most likely, meniscus was damaged from the start, but the problem was minor. If you have gone to a doctor then, the situation should have been much easier for you. Now, meniscus has to be treated, maybe even removed in order for a knee to function as normal as possible. Perhaps you can search a second opinion but I am afraid that the solution would be the same.

I had meniscus tear which was operated on Dec 28, 2011. To determine damage - MRI was done. Prior to surgery, my knee would swell up after running and wouldn't swell up with routine walking / routine activity. I was attempting to train for 5K when the problems started. I'm 54 yrs old.

Post surgery (2 months now), I have stabbing pain from incisions but regardless have full use of knee again. I worked insanity hard in Physical Therapy to accomplish full pre-surgery flexibility. Every Medical personal told me I would never have full pre-surgery use of my knee. No one told me this prior to surgery.

Is my knee better since surgery? Not yet but I'm still hoping for better. Has the swelling gone down, no. It's worse, particularly above my knee (quad area). I ice everyday (3-4 times a day for 20 minutes at a time) but I'm thinking I should have used the site: MendMyKnee for ultrasound equipment, etc.. and skipped the surgery. I have misgivings about my knee surgery and how bad my knee really was before it because so far, my knee is worse. I'm getting ready to be discharged from Physical Therapy and I'm looking for a Pain Management Clinic to relieve the pain and hope to get better sleep in the future. I wake up at all hours of the night in stabbing pain in my knee. The pain I feel now is nothing I ever felt before surgery.

If you are in alot of knee pain, get several opinions before surgery and surgery should be your last option.
Knee surgeons will always want to operate no matter what. I had little pain for a tiny tear with tiny swelling. So far, surgery put my knee in worse shape. Please don't rush to surgery until you consider it fully and its aftermath.