hi so i am 16 years old and until the past year i was very active. i was playing basketball for my church and as one of the strongest defensive players i would get the ball a lot or try to get in a jump ball. because of being so aggressive often i would find myself slamming my knees on the ground trying to take the ball......well by doing this i created some knee pain. In the begining my knees hurt just after playing basketball or tennis but then it would feel better and i wouldnt think about it until the next time i was active........i told my dad (who is a hardass and said i was being over dramatic) and he took me to urgent care to see what they would say (he was being over dramatic cause i mentioned the pain). After visiting the urgent care they really didnt tell me to do much just to take it easy for a week and see if it got any better.......well it didnt and because i didnt want to annoy my dad or hear his annoying rant i just told him my knee was fine and that it no longer hurt. but after a few months when basketball was over and tennis was getting ready to start again i was coming down the school bleacher and the last step was pretty big but i ddidnt think anything of it until i stepped down and my knee had locked into place and i heard a crunch-pop sound.......my knee hurt like hell and i didnt know what to do but i still didnt tell my dad......

well it has been about 8 months since the bleacher accident and for the most part my knee will hurt when i go up multiple flights of stairs, or if i sit in a tight space and my knee is bent for too long or even when i wake up in the morning. The pain most of the time feels awful and its hard to describe, but after standing for a while ill have to bend my knee a couple of times and it will crack each time....the worst pain, which occurs the most, is when my knee is bent it feels like ther is something in my knee that is pulling. and in the mornings when it hurts i can barely move it....this only happens about 3 times a month but it kinda scares me cause i will wake up in the mornings and my knee will be bent and not hurting, but when i try to unbend my knee it hurts so much to the point that i cant move it all that much, and if i do im in worse pain then before i un-bent it....so i typically just lay in bed for a few minutes trying to move it little by little untill my knee doesnt hurt anymore. The pain feels as though it is getting worse every week and i have thought of the possibility that i might have some arthritis in the knee cause my mom has really bad arthritis throughout her body.......but there are times when the pain hurts so much that i just want to cry and when i feel that pulling in my knee it makes me think there is something more wrong with it then overworking it.

i know i need to tell my dad about the pain, but i want to make sure that its not something stupid that i can treat at home, its just its been about a year + since i have had this pain

so if anyone can help it would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

Hi guesteso, It sounds like you have a torn meniscus, the meniscus is a crescent shaped piece of cartilage on both sides of your knee. There are different types of tears, some are minor and only bother people now and again, some are more serious and left untreated can lead to the shredding of the entire cartilage and then it would have to be surgically removed. I fell in 2007 in my back yard onto my right knee, it bruised my knee, I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and when my knee continued to hurt months later I thought it was the arthritis, well I limped around on it until 2010 when I could not take the pain any longer. I had an MRI on it, only to find that it was completely shredded, had I found it earlier it would not have taken 3 surgeries in one year to fix it. Tears like this cause pain in the joint that feel like arthritis. You said you don't want to annoy your dad, but this could be something that needs surgery, you should see a doctor (not quick care) and tell him/her what your symptoms are, they will get you an MRI and see if it is torn. Dont wait to much longer, your only causing further tearing if it is torn. Good luck!

u tore your acl and probably your meniscus as well iv went through 3 surgery's due to this but i didnt tear any cartridge u need to get surgery done bc it wont fix its self and u cant regrow cartridge trust me it will suck going through this wit rehab and recovery but i promise you once its all done you will be stronger and better at everything im more athletic now than i was before i tore it b/c it made me realize that i need to pay attention to how my body works. good luck man it will work for u in the end     

You is really hurt bad. Hope you have got some doctoring by now.