...can I run at all with this torn meniscus thingy??? I am dying here, folks! BTW, I got the report from the Dr. and it says "...blah, blah, blah...something about an increased T2 signal (whatever that means)...blah, blah, blah...consistent with complex degenerative tear...blah, blah, blah..." It doesn't actually say I have a torn meniscus. There is a possibility that it isn't torn. Um...can you say time to get on my knees and pray???

You need to get on the horn to your doctor and ask him flat out what you can and cannot do. If he doesn't answer your question to your satisfaction (i.e. he hims and haws), tell him so. I think that many MDs assume that patients are ignorant to their own condition. You (or your insurance company) are paying good money to this guy to do his job. Part of that job is to make sure that you fully understand exactly what is wrong with your knee (in terms that you can understand) and just what your treatment will allow you to do. Look that doctor in the eye and don't back down until you are satisfied with his answer! Also, I found another link for you --> water running Keep us posted hup

Hup,

Thanks for "taking up" for me, dear! ;) But, I haven't seen the Dr. yet! Long story short...my husband is retired military and I've had to search out my own ortho Dr. I'm still getting referrals from friends and had initially scheduled an appointment for this Thursday. Then, a friend said "STOP - that is the Dr. that did a botch job on my ACL surgery!" So, I'm out there looking for another ortho doc. The military docs gave me an MRI and the report (mentioned above) and the GP told me (prior to the results of the MRI) he thought it would be okay for me to continue running and sub 2 days/week with water running until I saw the ortho doc. Maybe I'll just continue along those lines because this is driving me crazy not being able to run when I don't even have any pain when I DO run! UGH!

Thanks for the link - I'll take a look at that. :)

:1:
Let me add that I also had a torn meniscus and didn't really even know it. It didn't hurt/bother me at all. This was before I decided to become a runner though. I had it fixed anyway because I didn't want trouble later with it.

Good news! I did a bit of research and couldn't find any record of someone actually dying from a torn meniscus.
Of course, ask your Dr. BUT, I ran for years on a torn ACL. It's already torn, they're going to clean it out anyway. Never mind the fact I didn't run for a few years after, and had several knee surgeries..I'm sure that had nothing to do with it. (really)
My Dad just had meniscus surgery. He played golf the morning of with his Drs blessing. Not exactly running, but lots of walking and twisting. You never know. They may let you.