Hello, folks. My son is determined to serve military. I really don’t know why he wants that, but it is his wish and I will respect it. However, he has been diagnosed astigmatism. Can this prevent him from going into military? I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me this.

Hi, there. Astigmatism is usually a mild eye condition. It represents the impairment of curvatures of the eyes. It can affect either cornea or lens. I am not sure whether this can be a reason from stopping someone to serve military. This anomaly can be corrected with lenses or eyeglasses. Your son should consult about this a military doctor. I hope everything will be all right. Although, if he couldn’t serve army, he would be safe, wouldn’t he? Bye!

Well,
This is the condition which will make you have a hard time to see fine details in close up or from a distance. So as you can see this is really a condition that is not good for the military because your sight might put you in jeopardy. I am not sure will he be able to pass the test with this condition. He can always try but as much as I know they are very strict in the army when it comes to eye sight. It is good that you are supporting your son and he has to understand that there is also a chance that he might not be accepted in to the military.

All the best,
Nelie