I'm a 49 yr old female. 9 years ago, I was diagnosed as being hypothyroid. It was never mentioned that it might be Hashimoto's disease, though from what I have read it most likely is. I've been on medication for that ever since. Last December and early January of this year I had two bouts of tonsillitis within 4 weeks of each other. At the time I thought I noticed a lump in my neck. I even asked my son to check and he said he couldn't see anything. I dismissed it as swelling of the lymph nodes due to the infections. Around the same time I got diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. I have been overweight for a very long time, plus I am a smoker who is currently on the patch trying to quit. In late spring early summer I went on a diet (well still am actually) so far I have lost 30 pounds and I am quite happy with losing 1-2 pounds per week. Fast forward to a week and a bit ago (Sept 2 to be exact). I was walking out of the bathroom and just happened to notice a rather large lump on my collar bone, at the base of my throat, near the sternum. I booked an appointment to see my Dr right away and have already had x-rays and blood work. The x-rays showed nothing out of the ordinary, so my Dr said that means the bones are not involved. He also said the lump is asymmetrical. The blood tests had not got back to the Dr at my last visit, so I am unsure what the results are. I have not received a call so I am assuming the blood work was also normal. I am waiting for an ultrasound which I am to have this coming Friday. The lump is hard and not moveable. I have, what is obvious to me, swelling up the right side of my neck. There is no pain at all. All the swelling does is cause stiffness when I turn my head, but I have no other problems with head or arm movement. I have been researching this for the past week and I am scared. I think I have two options. Either it is a thyroid tumor/cancer, or lung cancer. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to remain calm on the outside when on the inside I am going crazy. I have not mentioned my concerns to anyone else except my Dr, just in case it turns out to be nothing. But the more I read and research, the more frightened I become...Any suggestions on how to get through the next few weeks without going crazy?

OMG I am going thru the same thing...super scared...I also smoke..IBrooke down in tears and told the doctor I thought I might have lung cancer...I only noticed the lump about a week ago..and I'm waiting to go for an ultra sound...Ithink the doctor thinks its something to do with my thyroid...Ihope it's something treatable I hope I didn't wait to long to quit...prayers for both of us