My baby is 3 weeks old and I am bottle feeding her Similac Advance. The first week she was home, she had little difficulty in passing her stools. Recently, she has been having some problems come poop time. Her little face turns red and you can feel her pushing/bearing down. She also squeals while she does this. Being so new this, I sometimes cry when I see her in pain like that! They are coming out now...not hard, but firmer than what they were before....one actually looked log-like. Her next pediatric appointment isn't until her two month shots, and I didn't want to wait that long to get some advice on this.

I have read on this website that if infants don't get enough water, they can get constipated. The only time my baby gets water is when she has the hiccups (which are quite frequent), but she only gets a couple sips of it....she seems to enjoy it though! I was under the impression that a lot of water is not good for babies, as it will give them the illusion of being "full." Should she be drinking more water?

Also recommended was fiber....but I think she may be a little young for the cereal. Is there a correct age to start babies on cereal?

I also read that someone applied cream on their babies bum and it helped the baby pass their stool. However the baby became reliant on the "help" being provided. I've personally never heard of this helping constipation. Does anyone know if this is true?

My newborn is beautiful and extremely happy. She very rarely gets upset, and when she doesn't cry but gets tries to tell you other ways that she's upset. She'll try to eat you or your shirt or anything that comes close to her mouth when she's hungry.....sometimes she absolutely ravenous after only an hour. She can "quack" and get a bit fussy when she's sleepy. She can sleep up to seven hours a night, power naps during the morning, takes a 3-4 hour nap in the afternoon, power naps again...then goes back down for the night.

What sucks is to see her schedule thrown off because she's constipated. We were up a couple time during the night today...she wasn't hungry, just squirmy and uncomfortable. She has not been able to power nap this morning and remained awake for 5 straight hours. (Currently down for the big nap..thank god!) I also noticing this affecting her eating on her bad-poop days. She's only eating an ounce at a time (normally she can suck down between 3 and 4.)

I think it hurts me more than it hurts her to watch this and I feel powerless. If there was anyting I can do to help her, I would!!

Any thoughts or ideas would be awesome!!

Celebrity
Things have changed a lot since i had a baby. But your baby dose sound constipated. I was always told that babies need water in between feeds. not much tho.
My mum told me to put a bit of sugar in the water to help, but i no now the health visitor wouldnt like that. You use to be able to get baby orange juice to add to the water too. Not sure if you still can.
But failing that go an talk to your doctor. Good luck :-) Its a hard job being a mum xx

When I told my pediatrician what was going on, he recommended adding 5 ml of Dark Karo Syrup to 2 ounces of water and giving it to her. I never let her drink the whole bottle, but we sip on it when we get the hiccups (which really works for hiccups too!). That seems to be all she needs!

No more pooping problems! :-)

Celebrity
Glad your sorted :-D
What is Dark Karo Syrup.
Iv never heard of it. Thanks

Hey, panic not. My nephew is new into our family and he too had toilet problems. Exactly the same issue's. So my wonderful mum and sis in law came up with a old tried and tested indain tradition plan. They boiled some water, (approx two ounces) put a tiny amount of sugar in and let it cool right right to the temp you give your baby milk at and he drank it. Another thing though, we put in sauf in it, it is another form of sweet tatse, they are small kind of long dry tiny beads, that you put into the water on the hob to boil in, so boil it together, then use a seive and you will have a very pale green water, that is a natural,sweet formula that is good for the stomach & Poo, and that is how my family sorted his poo issues out. He loves this water, but only give it with sauf once a week, and try to give water on a daily routine at the same time every day. I can undestand, you being concerned re a product being put into water to boil with sounds far too weird, but trust me this is true. Google it for your thoughts and reference. If you still are unsure,as any normal parent will be, please try to give water on a daily routine time everyday. My nephew now poo's when he has his water at the shceduled time. Not a day goes without his usual water regime. He loves his water. Oh and as for SAUF, its a indian dry product, locally buy from Waitrose, Asda.Bottom line, Baby needs water daily to keep hydrated. You are a mum, so try it, just plain boiled water, she will poo. All the best. Oh and nephew is now over six months,so thats proof.